How to put the Cpu Fan properly?

DKdeadly

I will try to reseat my cpu but what do i use to wipe off the thermal paste?And how much do i put?I know a little but mabye someone has a picture or something to tell me how do it properly.I have a zalman fan s9500 and ac5 and a core 2 duo e6600

Thnx

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I just wipe mine with a paper towel...seems to work fine. As for thermal paste, a little grain sized drop would be enough, then you either spread it out or just put the heatsink on it and allow it to spread out itself.

pyvnetrvne.

banned
I just wipe mine with a paper towel...seems to work fine.
You do know that when you use a paper towel, little particles of the paper towel get stuck in between the processor and heatsink, causing the thermal conductivity to decrease?

Instead of using a paper towel, I would look into using a lint free cloth, or something along those lines.

Filip

...or just put the heatsink on it and allow it to spread out itself.

I have to disagree with you and everyone else that mentioned this before, it's impossible to put a heatsink on the CPU perfectly (with a hand) so it spreads the grease all over the CPU, that's just BS, paste should also be perfecly in center of the CPU, it was possible on Athlon XP's and older that didn't have IHS and core was only like ~1cm^.

Just use a plastic bag, put your finger in it and spread the paste.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9181591268790522443&q

PC eye

banned
You do know that when you use a paper towel, little particles of the paper towel get stuck in between the processor and heatsink, causing the thermal conductivity to decrease?

Instead of using a paper towel, I would look into using a lint free cloth, or something along those lines.

Agreed! Some denatured or common rubbing alcohol is the preferred cleaner often used with a soft non linting rag. You want something that won't leave a residue but dry up quickly and just enough used to clean off the excess compound. The two favored thermal compounds now in use are Artic Silver 5 which does a great job if applied correctly and a new one called Liquid Pro. Liquid Pro is supposed to be the improvement over AS5.

When applying the pound to a clean surface the advice is to apply a pea sized large droplet or glob and even bring the sinf down inplace. Once you press the HSF down with even pressure the compound will spread evenly. When you have the hsf down and secured you run the system for a few hours only to heat up the assembly briefly there and shut down at that time. That's when the initial bonding will start as the hsf and cpu begin cooling.

pyvnetrvne.

banned
What if too much compound is put on?
When too much compound is put on, it can alter the effectiveness of the thermal transfer from processor to heatsink, which can potentially raise processor temperatures.

Another problem with adding too much compound is that if your compound contains silver or any other kind of metal, if the compound leaks off of the processor, it could possibly ooze onto the motherboard or if you have a Socket A Athlon, it can get all over the bridges on the processor, causing some pretty big problems.

PC eye

banned
For the most part when applying the compund you have the chance there to stir it a little even with the tip of the dispencer or a plastic drink stirrer just enough to see the colors blend into one. With AS5 you will see grey and a little stripe of almost black color that will seem like separation at first. You simply stir this a little in a circular motion when first applying and you will see when you have enough applied.

The actual spread of compound should look like no more then a very thin layer as thick as a piece of aluminum foil wrap. Somewhare about the size of a good sized rasin is the correct amount.

Archangel

VIP Member
well... i dont think anyone would do that.. if you put a thin layer of paste over the whole surface of the CPU, there cant be too few past on it ;)

DKdeadly

well i think i just burned my rig.I put the thermal on just a little speard it and put the fan on then put the screws in and just screw it so the fan is tight.And i plug in the fan power to the motherboard.Trun on the pc and after 3 second it shuts down with this little zzz noise.And now it doesint want to turn on at all but my motherboard light is green so i am getting power.All my fans at the beging turn on.But when i took of the fan the first time to reapply my thermal on thecpu and the fan there was no thermal just a little sticky thing on one side of the cpu and the copper of my fan was a little rusted and little spots were off.I dont know what to do now could i have fried my whole pc.But i did everything as told i put just a little of thermal and i even saw that is take like 10 seconds for the cpu to burn and my computer turned off after 3 .

PLease help me right now i am on my other pc.

Last edited:

bumblebee_tuna

Well, you haven't fried your whole PC if it actually turns on.... Make sure that you put suffienct enough paste on, your CPU seated properly, your heatsink installed properly and your heatsink plugged in if needed to be.... It maybe just an automatic safety shut off.....

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
With a shutoff in only a few seconds it's not due to a lack of thermal compound. If the cpu went a good number of boards would sound an audio alert if the board speaker was plugged in and if there is one. On many older type boards you would see a "cpu failure" message come up onscreen immediately at turning the power on.

With enough compound/paste you see a thin layer spread over the top of the cpu and bottom of the sink. If the cpu lost a pin or the board has a flaw like a failed chipset the green led only shows power is getting to the board not whether or not there's a hardware failure. Since you were moving around inside the case try rechecking all connections before assuming a failed cpu or board.

Once a board/cpu is cooled off for period of time the auto shutdown feature or overheat protection circuit won't interfere. If you try to power up right after a shutdown is seen you haven't let it cool down enough.

PC eye

banned
Just to correct this, LGA775 socket means...? ;)

You don't have to worry there. That was more figurative. Now the problem will be to find out just what went. Did the cpu cook the board along with it? Did only the cpu go? Did only the board take a walk? The news isn't good. :(