How to read a linux ext4 harddrive with a mac

McNicholas

Hey there, I'm having major issues, well kind of.

I have a seagate central network harddrive that has an ethernet port that stopped working. So, instead of taking it to a shop I'd like to try to fix by myself but its not going very well.

I took the harddrive out of the seagate cage, but seagate said I would need a linux reader.
I dont have a computer only a macbook pro, so I took one of my harddrives out of an external that I have and put the seagate harddrive into it, then downloaded a trial version of Exts Paragon for mac, which is supposed to read linux harddrives.
So, after doing this, a bunch of drives pop up, each around a gb, but they seem to be the operating folders for the seagate harddrive, not my data. My data on the seagate harddrive is a couple hundred GB.

Basically I am not able to access or see my data on the seagate drive.

If anyone has insight, plllllleeeaaassseee.

Thank you.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
What format was the hard drive? FAT32? NTFS? You shouldn't need anything Linux related to read your external unless it was actually formatted with a Linux file system?

McNicholas

The seagate central harddrive is formatted in ext4 linux, or at least thats what the seagate person told me. my other external harddrive I am not sure what its formmated in, its definately not linux though, I am guessing ntfs.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Oh, der. I wasn't paying attention.

You could always create a linux bootable USB with Ubuntu or something and boot to that, then attach and copy the data on your external that way to another drive.

McNicholas

thanks guys,

So just an update in case anyone cares. I checked out the linux readers and were good suggestions, thank you. Before i used them, I took the harddrive into a computer shop, they plugged it in and told me its fried.
I probably will not pay to have the data recovered as I was able to find my pictures and videos in a backup hd, and it was only 150gb of music I lost, still sucks but I could probably buy new music for cheaper than it would cost to recover it from the HD.

Thanks for your suggestions.