How to reduce size of image.

EINREB

I am a member of several Forums which restrict the size of any attachments to be added. If I use my scanner to enter any information, such as schematics, or hand drawn sketches, it always produces a file that exceeds the maximum allowed by the Forum.
Is there any way that I can reduce the size of the file without loosing content? The file content can often be very simple, just a few lines and symbols, nothing elaborate. Any suggestions which program to use to accomplish this? (Preferable a free one! :))

EINREB

UPDATE: My Norton Security System (Courtesy Toshiba, my laptop manufacturer) refuses to allow the xnconvert program to be executed and removes it before I can do anything. It gives as reason that it has determined that it is harmfull to my computer.
Don't you hate it when your computer forces you to do something that you do not want it to do? I tried to remove the whole $#@$ Norton Security, but not even Fileassasin does it. Norton has the reputation of embedding itself into your system in such a way, that it is difficult to disable, and its reputation is well deserved as shown here.
Any suggestions as to get rid of Norton? I take my chances without it.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
How large is the scanned file in MB? How large is the actual drawing that you're scanning? My guess is that you are scanning it on a much higher DPI than is actually needed, and you have an insanely high resolution image.

If this is the case, open it in Photoshop and resize it.

beers

Staff member
What format does your scanner produce files into?

As stated, usually you can just resize the image as most scanner images are really huge.

tremmor

microsoft free (powertoys) image resizer works well for this. Small, medium large. can do several at one time. just find them in explorer then tag them, (highlight) each one then right click and you will see small, medium or large. wont change the original and will use same name and adding say small to each one. very simple and quick. just goto microsoft and query powertoys. look for image resizer.

spirit

Staff member
microsoft free (powertoys) image resizer works well for this. Small, medium large. can do several at one time. just find them in explorer then tag them, (highlight) each one then right click and you will see small, medium or large. wont change the original and will use same name and adding say small to each one. very simple and quick. just goto microsoft and query powertoys. look for image resizer.

That sounds good but you could just use Paint and then save the resized image with a new name. :cool:

tremmor

Agreed if renaming needs to be done. Irfanview works well, allows resizing many and bulk renaming with a displacement. test1, test 2 etc or use a displacment like test100, test200 etc. and basic editing.
Its also freeware.
http://www.irfanview.com/