How to remove Virus?

I have the Alureon virus and ran Microsoft Safety Scanner that found them. Now it says to manually remove them how is this accomplished? I have AVG (free one), but it seems it hasn't found anything or wont remove it. Is there something I can use? Also I should say I update and run nightly Super Antispyware, Malware Bytes, Avg, CC Cleaner. all updated and run at least every other night if not every night when I'm finished and none found this virus.

Last edited:
And now I ran Windows Defender updated and it found nothing. Yet Microsoft safety Scanner found 5 versions of this virus and tells me they are partially removed but I have to manually remove the rest. Went to Microsoft like they said and................... I have Combo Fix, R Kill, Highjack this. Should I run Combo Fix? Also this only is noted when using E-Bay as I once posted about 3 months ago. It redirects to EBay.CN Chinese E-Bay and all in Chinese. I talked to E-Bay and they have said in the past and now that there is nothing wrong with their site but it only happens on their site so I would suggest that they do have an issue. I have seen other users on E-Bays community forum saying the same thing. I am not against E-Bay at all just if they have an issue they need to remedy this as this makes 2 x I have got it and it's a pain to get rid of.

Last edited:

Viision

Download and run MalwareBytes. Run a scan select all the malware if it is not selected already and click remove selected.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Run tdsskiller first.

Please download and run TDSSkiller

When the program opens, click on the start scan button.

TDSSKiller will now scan your computer for the TDSS infection. When the scan has finished it will display a result screen stating whether or not the infection was found on your computer. If it was found it will display a screen similar to the one below.

infection-found.jpg

To remove the infection simply click on the Continue button and TDSSKiller will attempt to clean the infection.

When it has finished cleaning the infection you will see a report stating whether or not it was successful as shown below.

scan-completed.jpg

If the log says will be cured after reboot, please reboot the system by pressing the reboot now button.

After running there will be a log that will be located at the root of your c:\ drive labeled tdsskiller with a series of numbers after it. Please open the log and copy and paste it back here.

Then run malwarebytes and post the log.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65.0.1400
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.09.11.01

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Robert Rantzow :: ROBERTRANTZO-PC [administrator]

9/10/2012 7:42:27 PM
mbam-log-2012-09-10 (19-42-27).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 345320
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 3 minute(s), 15 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Nothing detected. I got rid of AVG and ran Avast. Avast found 3 of the Alureon Viruses and took care of them. I also ran TDSS KILLER and it found nothing. The only thing is it seems Avast must use more resources as it seems bootup and running a bunch of tasks slows it (the computer) down more than AVG.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would also suggest doing an online scan using Eset.

Please download and run the ESET Online Scanner
Disable any antivirus/security programs.
IMPORTANT! UN-check Remove found threats
Accept any security warnings from your browser.
Check Scan archives
Click Start
ESET will then download updates, install and then start scanning your system.
When the scan is done, push list of found threats
Click on Export to text file , and save the file to your desktop using a file name, such as ESETlog. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
If no threats are found then it won't produce a log.

Here is what ESET found:
C:\Users\Robert Rantzow\Downloads\registrybooster.exe Win32/RegistryBooster application
D:\MaxAVLiveUpdate\NewSDProduct.exe a variant of Win32/MaxPCsecure application
D:\MaxAVLiveUpdate\SDFirstPriorityPatch.exe a variant of Win32/MaxPCsecure application
D:\MaxAVLiveUpdate\SDUpdate.exe a variant of Win32/MaxPCsecure application