WIndows 10 How to reset (reset again) a Windows 10 desktop?

ssal

I have a Dell XPS 8700 that I want to sell. I was able to reset Windows to factory setting the first time. But I put in my MS account email so I could download all the upgrades.

Then, I realize the new owner may not like to use my MS account when they acquire my machine.

I tried to reset the machine again, but it kept asking me for the installation or restoration disk. I didn't have to use any installation disk (I don't have it because this Windows 10 was and upgrade from W8 that came with the machine).

How do I go back an re-reset this machine so the buyer can pick it up and put his/her own MS account to take total ownership of the machine?

Or, how would you handle this problem?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You should be able to choose to reset this pc and choose to delete everything. Or just use the windows media creation tool and create the iso and reinstall that way without using your MS account, I'm thinking it would still activate.

ssal

I figured out how to add a new users and give it the administrator's right.
That seems to be the least painful way to achieve the goal.

ssal

Just make sure you delete your account.
The current MS account on this machine was a fictitious account I created to reset the system. It doesn't relate anything to my actual MS account.

This is my instruction to the new buyer:

This is provided for your convenience. Make sure you are knowledgeable and comfortable with the procedure before you proceed.
To create your own account
Type "Add User" in the search
Click Add, edit, or remove other users
Click Email & account
Click Add a Microsoft Account
Following instruction to add your MS account to this device
Make sure you assign your account as Administrator
Turn off computer and turn it on again
Make sure you can login using your new MS account
I strongly suggest creating an image of your boot drive now.
You may delete the AlexandBruce account from your machine