How to run crysis at Very High

zaroba

taylormsj said:

Sorry, but i seriously doubt that in 2003, you had 4gb of ram. For one, windows xp 64bit was released in 2005, so you could only use 3gb, and no desktop motherboard supported 4gb of ram in 2003.

1. i did say i had an Asus P4C800 deluxe motherboard right? its generally good to look up specs if you have questions about a persons hardware..
2. who says you can only use a desktop motherboard in a desktop pc? i think it was classified as a workstation motherboard.
3. just because windows couldn't use all but 3.5gb of the ram doesn't mean you can't have 4gb in there.
4. The board was released IN 2003 and I think it was the most powerful motherboard at the time. Heres a news article from May 8th, 2003 about the Asus P4C800 Deluxe: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDcw. Feel free to read it.
5. look at the specs for yourself: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=12&l3=30&model=175&modelmenu=1
-4 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 4GB PC3200/PC2700/PC2100 ECC/ Non-ECC DDR SDRAM memory
not exactly hard to put in 4 1gb sticks of ddr.

any more questions?
it's lovely how people think that just because its old means it can't be good for its time.

Last edited:

Archangel

VIP Member
just wondering, but if windows cant use all the ram, why spend money to put it in there?
anyways, 3Gb of ram was way over the top at that time, even for hardcore gaming (at least in my oppinion) I mean, yea, sure, I gues its nice to have bragging rights at lan parties or so, but in terms of actual performance increase of the system in total, I'd rather spend a bit more money on a better grafic's card :)

zaroba

well, at the time i wasn't aware of the 32bit ram limitation :eek:

and i was often doing 3d modelling and sometimes making videos of games so needed alot of ram.
pretty sure the Geforce FX 5600 was the best card at the time (sorry, think i said it was a geforce4 earler? give me some slack though, it's been 5 years :p )

Last edited:

Motoxrdude

1. i did say i had an Asus P4C800 deluxe motherboard right? its generally good to look up specs if you have questions about a persons hardware..
2. who says you can only use a desktop motherboard in a desktop pc? i think it was classified as a workstation motherboard.
3. just because windows couldn't use all but 3.5gb of the ram doesn't mean you can't have 4gb in there.
4. The board was released IN 2003 and I think it was the most powerful motherboard at the time. Heres a news article from May 8th, 2003 about the Asus P4C800 Deluxe: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDcw. Feel free to read it.
5. look at the specs for yourself: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=12&l3=30&model=175&modelmenu=1

not exactly hard to put in 4 1gb sticks of ddr.

any more questions?
it's lovely how people think that just because its old means it can't be good for its time.

So you spent more money on the ram then you did on everything else combined? I highly doubt that.

And the best video card at the time was a 9700PRO.

EDIT: O and you linked two different motherboards their. First link is of the P4C800 Deluxe, second one is P4C800-E Deluxe. The P4C800-E Deluxe used DDR instead of SDRAM. Also it supported prescott.

Last edited:

zaroba

hmm... *grabs the board out of the closet*. P4C800 deluxe. you can look up the specs etc yourself. would you like to see a picture of it as proof that i still have that too? Click Here. so, sorry, it was 4gb of sdram, not ddr.

why do you doubt the ram purchase? are you now saying that for some reason you think i can't spend *my* money how *i* want to? good grief. seriously, it sounds to me like for some unknown reason you have this idea that i'm not allowed to upgrade my computer with what i want. as for the vid card, who says i wanted a radion instead of nearly the best geforce that was out at the time? I've always used geforce and probably always will.

you got people buying pre made PCs for sometimes 3x the cost to build them, yet you suddenly think that somebody can't build themselves a good pc using there money the way they want to?

if you have any other doubts, feel free to look up all the hardware that i mentioned to see that it actually WAS out in 2003. also feel free to get that idea out of your mind thats telling you i can't spend my money on what pc hardware i want to.

Last edited:

Motoxrdude

hmm... *grabs the board out of the closet*. P4C800 deluxe. you can look up the specs etc yourself. would you like to see a picture of it as proof that i still have that too? Click Here. so, sorry, it was 4gb of sdram, not ddr.

why do you doubt the ram purchase? are you now saying that for some reason you think i can't spend *my* money how *i* want to? good grief. seriously, it sounds to me like for some unknown reason you have this idea that i'm not allowed to upgrade my computer with what i want. as for the vid card, who says i wanted a radion instead of nearly the best geforce that was out at the time? I've always used geforce and probably always will.

you got people buying pre made PCs for sometimes 3x the cost to build them, yet you suddenly think that somebody can't build themselves a good pc using there money the way they want to?

if you have any other doubts, feel free to look up all the hardware that i mentioned to see that it actually WAS out in 2003. also feel free to get that idea out of your mind thats telling you i can't spend my money on what pc hardware i want to.
Heh, I was looking around on that server and the funny thing is, there is another picture on there that listed you being 19 with a nazi symbol avatar. So unless I see a picture of that motherboard next to a peice of paper saying "Are you happy now, Motoxrdude?", I won't beleive you.
And why would you spend over $1600 dollars on 4gb of ram when at the time nothing requires it, loading all four slots of ram actually causes super high latency, and you could upgrade other components that will boost your game performance (like a 9700PRO) for 1/3 the price? And what games did you see a 40fps by upgrading from 1gb to 4gb? Kinda funny since no game in that time even used 512mb ram, lol.

zaroba

lol, i have a pic of a 19 year old with a nazi thing on the site?
hmm...*goes off to look*

*edit*
oh, lol, that decahwn a-hole. long story short, he was a player in the game http://www.theuniversal.net who got banned for such actions. if you notice, the picture states that i was TARGETTING him. search for decahwn on the forums there and you will find tons of hate posts about him. like this one: http://theuniversal.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6524

also, whats not to believe? to be honest, i want to appologise if i came off rude in my posts. its because even when i HAD the pc, people acted like you and pretty much acted like i couldn't have had it when i posted it on gaming forums. whats not to believe though? look at the pc in my sig, 8gb of ram (4x 2gb), look at PCs owned by others. so what if you can't think of a need for it (or the 8gb in my current pc) does that mean i can't buy it and put it in if i want? no. so once again i ask you why would you think somebody is lieing just because they have a good pc?

said earlier, I had a lot of ram for 3d model editing and video recording. simple as that. if you want a simpler answer, then how about 'because i wanted it'. i don't have to follow yours or anybody elses rules when it comes to building a pc like you seem to think, i can but what i want in my pcs. if they end up being better then your PCs and offering better FPS rates then your PCs in games, then guess what, they do. get over it instead of acting like people are liars just because they found a better solution when you can't even try new things.

as for games, i can remember Trainz and The Universal.

Last edited:

BluePlum

banned
GET OUT OF MY THREAD U HI-JACKERS! " shackes fist and puts hand under neath shirt and makes a gun symbol to scare them out "

Archangel

VIP Member
said earlier, I had a lot of ram for 3d model editing and video recording. simple as that. if you want a simpler answer, then how about 'because i wanted it'. i don't have to follow yours or anybody elses rules when it comes to building a pc like you seem to think, i can but what i want in my pcs. if they end up being better then your PCs and offering better FPS rates then your PCs in games, then guess what, they do. get over it instead of acting like people are liars just because they found a better solution when you can't even try new things.

tough, with the games of that time, there wouldnt have been an advantage of having more than, well, 1Gb if i remember right. if anyone build a pc purely for gaming, I dont think anyone would put that much ram in it.
but like you said, 3d modeling and video editing, i gues it could be usefull there. (and no, you cant go tell me I'm wrong here, because i tried 2Gb of ram back then, and never came over 60% useage with games :) )

zaroba

i wont say your wrong, i wasn't trying to say anybody was wrong.

different people have different computers and thus will see different outcomes from the same type of upgrade. it doesn't mean anybody is lieing. we come here to share our knowledge and experiences, not lie to people. so why somebody would think others are lieing just because they experienced something different from them is beyond me. maybe motox will return and explain exactly why he thinks its a lie. i've asked him several times, he still has yet to answer.

Last edited:

Motoxrdude

Eh, I just dont see how you could get such insane performance boosts going from 1gb to 4gb back in the day when 512mb was plenty for games. I'm not doubting you having 4gb of ram, just doubting that you got 200% fps increase, that's all.

zaroba

ahh. might have been some other changes too. don't know. like i said, it was 5 years ago so i don't exactly remember.
maybe i had changed the cpu too.

Motoxrdude

Heh, ok. It's not that big o' deal. It was stupid of me to even argue something so inconsequential in the first place.

zaroba

hmm...thinking about it...
when i built the gaming pc with the 4gb of ram in it, previously the computer i was on was only a 512mhz P3 with the 1gb of ram. the upgrade from the 512mhz P3 to the 2.whatever ghz P4 probably accounted for alot of the fps.

doesn't explain the pretty much zero performance gain when going from the pci 64mb GeForce 2 mmx 440 to the 8x agb 256mb GeForce FX 5600 though.

Archangel

VIP Member
them mx440 was a (high end) geforce 4 if I remember right, the fx5600 was a mid range 5 series card (and the 5 series did suck (only had 2 vertex sharders etc, not really an improvement over the 4 series)) altough, I do think there should have been some improvement (so yea, that doesnt explain why you didnt get any improvement with it :eek: )

newguy5

them mx440 was a (high end) geforce 4 if I remember right, the fx5600 was a mid range 5 series card (and the 5 series did suck (only had 2 vertex sharders etc, not really an improvement over the 4 series)) altough, I do think there should have been some improvement (so yea, that doesnt explain why you didnt get any improvement with it :eek: )

the geforce 3 ti500 was like the only good geforce card pre-pci-e ;)

elitehacker

I tried Crysis on VERY HIGH on my 512MB 8800GTS, it ran like a slideshow, but I have to say it looked stunning though. I don't think an sli setup with my card can run it on MAX. I overclocked everything, CPU Q6600 @ 3.4GHz and graphics card at 800Mhz/2160Mhz effective.

Freestylingford

Well I play it maxed out at 2xaa with 1240 res with sli and a e6750 dual core after all of new microsoft updates rc refresh and crysis patch and new drivers.

And thats DX10 so call me a liar but at least i am enjoying it.