How to Setup 2 routers on the same Network?

Geoff

VIP Member
You're not using WIFI to configure are you? I would use a LAN cable connected to that laptop and router.
The problem he's having is he has to connect to WiFi and plug into the second router to configure it, likely because he doesn't have both routers connected properly.

beers

Staff member
You're not using WIFI to configure are you? I would use a LAN cable connected to that laptop and router.

It shouldn't make a difference if you can reach that address on your LAN. It gets convoluted in this case since it sounds like the guy has overlapping private subnets with multiple layers of port address translation.

The problem he's having is he has to connect to WiFi and plug into the second router to configure it, likely because he doesn't have both routers connected properly.

This. If the secondary router is using NAT/PAT behind the WAN interface then you won't be able to access the configuration directly unless you either

1) Change the configuration to use the LAN port and remove the second NAT/PAT layer

2) Port forward from router 1 to router 2's "WAN" address in order to have traffic originating from router 1 make it through router 2's PAT layer.

Sounds like double NAT, where your first router is connected to the WAN port of your second router. When this happens you have two separate networks with no way communicating between the two.

Last I checked all cat5's are connected to a regular port and the WAN port is indeed left open with nothing plugged into it.

C4C

Haven't read all the posts here but I've done something like this that I use for my upstairs xbox.

Modem --> Downstairs Router ---through the walls---> upstairs port ----> secondary router ---> Xbox

Yes the secondary router has it's own WiFi band but I disabled it.