how to share cable internet

panorama

I have two comp, one PC and HP laptop. Networking between them is ok. PC is connected to internet by local cable provider, using Atlanta webstar modem, connection through Realtek ethernet card. I try to share this int. connection with laptop, but i don't know how to. Any advice ?

panorama

Thank you, i knew for this solution, but the problem is that my internet provider ask for a doublee month fee for a wireless router, than to regular modem. Is there any other solution ?

diroga

get a b/g wireless router not an N type. it will come with instructions how to set it up. do you have dsl or cable? i was wondering if they were talking about a wireless dsl modem.

Wolla

I asked a similar question a while back, my problem with getting a 3rd party router, was my wired connection was a USB cable. so i couldnt just plug an ethernet cable into a new router. but i have heard of a way, its called "Ad-Hoc networking" i'm sorry, but i dont have the page saved that explained how to do it, but all you need is a wireless adaptor on both comps, however, it may have to be a certain type..

i'm real sorry i cant give much more details. but there is an option in the properties of the wireless connection or something, that lets you tick a box saying "allow other computers to connect to the internet through this computer"

its something to do with that i think.. try a search for it..

hope that helps.

panorama

get a b/g wireless router not an N type. it will come with instructions how to set it up. do you have dsl or cable? i was wondering if they were talking about a wireless dsl modem.
I have cable access to net. Modem has two options for connecting to pc: lan & usb, but both of them can not be in use at the same time, so i have to find some solution to connect my lap. I read on some forums that two lan card could solve the problem, but how ? Win help describes internet sharing as a piece of cake, but in reality it is a horror. :eek:

amosf

If the modem has an ethernet socket then you can connect to a router, but you will need to figure out the ip settings. Should figure that out with a google of the model and get the defaults. It likely has a narrow out range or fixed IP.

Otherwise just set up nat on the box connected to the modem and share to the other, ad-hoc wireless or with cat5.

Johnstone

Uhm HELLO?

Just buy a router as the other guy said, what is it.. 20 euro for a cheap one? Cable from modem->Router, Router -> Computer(s)
Routers usually come with 4 switches, means you can use 4 computers at the same time.

Hope this solves your problem.

brian

VIP Member
he said he does not have eathernet on his computer so he cant just hook it up to the eathernet since he uses the usb. in that case you have 2 options, buy a eathernet addapetr and get a router (best idea) or yea a ad-hoc network would work. you just need a G wireless adapter and bridge the connections together. however i highly recomend getting a router and a eathernet adapter

chrislo

The only advantage of going with a router from your cable company that if it has problems they will help you. If you buy it from an outside source they won't help you. Its not problem though, just get help from the router manufacturer (Linksys, D-Link, etc).

panorama

Thanks all of you in trying to help me, so i will remind you of all details.
Pc is connected to net by cable modem through usb. Modem also has LAN enter, but it can't be used at the same time with usb. Laptop has Lan and also Wlan. My intention is to connect lap to pc ( by Wlan or Lan) and get net through PC. I have pci Wlan card in PC and also integrated Lan. Too much hardware but i can't solve the problem. Thank you in advance; my greetings to Bill Gates !

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks all of you in trying to help me, so i will remind you of all details.
Pc is connected to net by cable modem through usb. Modem also has LAN enter, but it can't be used at the same time with usb. Laptop has Lan and also Wlan. My intention is to connect lap to pc ( by Wlan or Lan) and get net through PC. I have pci Wlan card in PC and also integrated Lan. Too much hardware but i can't solve the problem. Thank you in advance; my greetings to Bill Gates !

If your computer has an integrated network card then buy a wireless router and hook your computer to the one of the ports to the router and use the wireless for your laptop. It's that simple.

shakir

use any internet sharing software. u can use proxy server install on the pc which have the internet and install client on the another pc