How to start a forum by myself?

tyrus

How can I start a forum or an website by my own? I don't want to use the template IE adress for my forum, and the cost must be lower than $50 per month?

JamesC

You can start your own site and forums for under $10 a month.

some popular hosts are: GoDaddy, iPowerWeb, and JaguarPC

Not sure what you mean by "template IE address", but if you are referring to a domain name (site.com), those generally run $10 each, but you get a free one with most hosting packages.

_simon_

Setting up a forum is extremely easy, getting visitors is not.

It can take a year or 2 for you to become popular and people start regulary joining from word of mouth or because you're finally high enough in the search engines.

Punk

Staff member
Hostingplex.com is what I use:

8 dollars/month
200GB space
1000GB bandwith

phpbb, FTP, MYSQL etc etc etc
I hqve like three websites on my domain and two forums.

Irishwhistle

I use Freeforums. You can buy your own domain name. The other option would be to host a phpBB forum on a website that you make with something such as Freewebs. Freewebs allows you to purchase your own domain.

~Jordan

Geoff

VIP Member
I confused... What is a forum host for? And what are phpbb, FTP, MYSQL?

No offense, but if you dont know what those are, then you shouldnt be running a forum. They dont have simple setups where you just fill in what you want each section to be, you have to know a fair amount of web programming.

jimmymac

VIP Member
I run a number of forums and recently setup a new one but was unsure as to its possible popularity.

As such I set it up using Invisionfree, completely free to setup and very easy to use and I have to say their support has been excellent with it too. They are about to change to a new updated version too soon which is in beta at the moment.

The added advantage is that if you decide the need to then convert it over to your own domain name then so long as you use one of their recommended sites (likes of Yahoo etc) then they will continue to offer full support with it. They will be able to guide you through changing it over to your own domain registration..

worth a try :)

Platinum

I suggest you do some reading first, get a better understanding of web programming, html, php, ftp, etc. Don't forget, you want to attract people to come visit your forum, if it looks like garbage, unorganized, and poorly ran, people won't come. Learn some more before you attempt to do it on your own, or get some help from someone who knows what they are doing.