How to stop touchpad from selecting stuff too quick?

johnnyb58

I use the pointer to track location so when I do want to select something a can, but sometimes it selects stuff just by passing over something. I also moves the window when I don’t want to move it.

I have a HP Envy with Win 10 and I don’t have the problem when I plug in a mouse, but that is not always convenient. I’ve been using touchpads for probably 10 or more yeas at work and I have never had this problem before until this laptop. I’m not sure but I think all my old laptops had a setting for this can’t find anything on this one.

johnnyb58

It's the sensitivity. What laptop do you have?
I have the HP Envy PI6DODCQ and I can't find a sensitivity setting although I didn't know what it was called. I'll try to search for "sensitivity" in the setting to see if anything comes up.

johnnyb58

It looks like I already have it set to the lowest sensitivity. I must have done that when I first bought this laptop.

Darren

Staff member
Disable mouse acceleration too.

Download the driver for the trackpad directly from HP, sometimes they'll include extra software that lets you customize it beyond what Windows does.

johnnyb58

Thanks Darren, I just checked HP and they don't have any drivers for my laptop. I have almost everything turned off for the mouse. The problem is if i hover over something too long, it picks it and sometimes when I'm just moving the pointer across the screen it will drag whatever was under it including the window. The worst is when I'm in the files window it will drag files into new locations and I can't find them. Oh well I'm just not going to be able to use this and just pad use a mouse.