How to take a screenshot w/out resolution defined by monitor?

Dimitri

I want to take a picture of instagram (not one photo, but of the whole interface and photos), but I want it to be high res, higher than that of my monitor.

If I do a print scr or use the snipping tool I'm gonna get it only in whatever resolution my monitor is putting out.

How do I capture something that is on my screen but get it in a higher resolution? Obviously, what's actually ON my monitor is broken up into the pixels on the monitor, but the signal that comes before it's shown on the monitor, presumably, doesn't have a resolution defined, no? (I guess that depends on the raster vector thing, I don't really understand these things)

Anyway, there must be a way graphic designers do this.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
If you just want a really long screenshot of a website, fireshot works well. But that will not get higher resolution than what you see.

You can only save the resolution of picture that is delivered to you. If there are higher resolution pictures available you would need a crawler that navigates the link on the images and grabs the highest resolution available. I do not use Instagram, but I imagine this is the closest you will be able to get https://github.com/iammrhelo/InstagramCrawler

beers

Staff member
The only applicable thing you could do this against are 3D environments which can be rendered at a higher resolution and the image is downscaled. A lot of games are including screenshot buttons that up the res in the shot significantly.

Otherwise what you're looking at is the resolution you're working with. If the photo on your screen is already lower res than your monitor, blowing it up to higher res is just going to be pixelated.