How to tell if CPU is working properly ?

Exoclap

Since I got this computer I'm having stuttering/choppy/jumpy gameplay problems and I wan't to know what Is causing that. I tried updating/re-installing the drivers for my graphics card. I also tried re-installing windows 7 and many other things. Now I decided that I wan't to test each part. I already did a windows memory test and memtest86 for 17+ hours and no errors were reported for my RAM.

Now I'm moving to CPU so I'm asking if there is any way that I can actually tell that the CPU is causing the games to stutter.

A thing to note though is when I sometimes slightly bump the computer or hit the table a little bit the computer makes a beep sound which I really don't know where it is coming from. The problem is really noticeable when I'm moving through the map and when the v-sync is turned off. However if the V-sync is turned on the issue is still there but it is slightly less noticeable. I can't even play simple games like for example Minecraft, Runescape, Call of Duty 2 etc since they all stutter/are choppy. I usually have 100+ fps in these kinds of games and 58-60 when v-sync is turned on.

Here are some snapshots when I was playing Bioshock infinite yesterday http://imgur.com/a/cSOES

Would really appreciate all the help since I'm all out of ideas :(

PC SPECS:

ASUS Gtx 970 STRIX 4 GB OC model
Intel core i5 4690k 3.5 ghz quad core
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
1 stick of 8 GB RAM
1 TB Western Digital HDD
600W Corsair CX

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you bump it and it beeps then sounds like a grounding out issue. I know this is an older build but are you sure you have the correct amount of standoffs between motherboard and case?

_Pete_

It could also be caused by something simple like a board not seated properly. Specifically one of the RAM modules. It could be worth taking each daughter board, including the RAM modules, out of their sockets and reseating them.

Exoclap

If you bump it and it beeps then sounds like a grounding out issue. I know this is an older build but are you sure you have the correct amount of standoffs between motherboard and case?

Yes I do have the correct amount of standoffs, all the standoffs are mounted correctly.

It could also be caused by something simple like a board not seated properly. Specifically one of the RAM modules. It could be worth taking each daughter board, including the RAM modules, out of their sockets and reseating them.

I might just re-build my computer by taking all the parts out and making sure that everything is mounted and built correctly.

Exoclap

The only thing I didn't change from my older computer is the case. When I had my old computer 2 years ago I still experienced the mentioned issue that I'm having today. I never actually thought that this could be caused by the case but it is the only thing that I didn't replace when I bought this new computer.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah definitely sounds like a case issue then. Perhaps a metal tab from I/O plate inside usb port or similar? Build it outside of the case on a piece of cardboard and see if things are better.

Exoclap

So I should just move the whole build on a peace of cardboard ? I really hope this works since I never actually thought of that. You are a genius ! I have had all the parts inside the case for almost 2 years now so I really hope nothing got damaged...

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, thats the first thing you do to rule out grounding out motherboard to case. Maybe a loose screw somewhere? Could be anything.

Exoclap

Yep, thats the first thing you do to rule out grounding out motherboard to case. Maybe a loose screw somewhere? Could be anything.

I just moved all the parts to peace of cardboard next to my table. I played some games but the issue is still there. Damn I really hoped this woud work...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Figure out what version of bios you have and update it if necessary also, may be a gpu/psu issue

JLuchinski

Does it only beep at you when Windows is running or does it do it during POST as well? You should try unplugging all of your components from the motherboard, firing it up then bump it and if it beeps at you then at least you can rule out everything that's unplugged.