How to tell if something is connected to router?

Vizy

Ok, my Dad said he'd give me $20 if i keep check on my lil bro. He recently got some bad grades and my dad thinks it beecause he plays his PSP 24/7. Personally, i dont care at all. But its $20. My dad doesnt want him playing online <WiFi> w/ da psp or anything...so this is where u guys come in. i am completely sure that there is a way to check who and what device is connected to the router. I knw this because everything has a MAC address (i actually don't know this but i assumed cuz printers do) to connect to the router.

To access my router page through the internet i type in:

Code:

from there i can change my password, forward my ports, etc.

So pleas tell me where to go find which addresses are connected to the router!

also, my dad's comp is connected to the Router, and this comp is too, i have 2 shared printers<not connected to router but tethered to a computer> so this means there should only be 2 addresses right?

:Dthnx:D

Homenet

There are several ways, one of them is to go on your router config page and look for the 'DHCP clients table' which will tell you what devices your router have given ip addresses for. it should tell you the time that the lease was given. failing that you could run an ip scan on the subnet and see which devices are 'alive'

Geoff

VIP Member
Does he not want him to use it at all? By blocking it on the router he can still play games and such, just not browse the web or play online games.

Vizy

[-0MEGA-];911208 said:
Does he not want him to use it at all? By blocking it on the router he can still play games and such, just not browse the web or play online games.

thats perfect, my dad is cool w/ him playing games that does not include online, so how would u block his PSP?

Geoff

VIP Member
I'm not sure which router you have in particular, but all the consumer routers I've seen have an option in the web-based configuration page that lets you view active clients that are connected. That list should tell you the IP and MAC of a particular device, along with the device name.

You should then be able to block that MAC address from the router completely, or at least from the wireless. Or if no one else uses the wireless, just disable it all together.

dznutz

if you can get hold of his psp then go to system settings -> system information. the mac address will be displayed. then in your router block that mac address by manually entering the mac address and choosing block.

another way is to use the psp to connect to the net, go to the router, locate the mac address of that psp, and block it

a more easier way (assuming your router is G or better) is to disable mixed mode or choose something else other than B-only in your router as the psp needs B to work.

if your neighbor has an open connection then everything is defeated

Vizy

if you can get hold of his psp then go to system settings -> system information. the mac address will be displayed. then in your router block that mac address by manually entering the mac address and choosing block.

another way is to use the psp to connect to the net, go to the router, locate the mac address of that psp, and block it

a more easier way (assuming your router is G or better) is to disable mixed mode or choose something else other than B-only in your router as the psp needs B to work.

if your neighbor has an open connection then everything is defeated

thnx dude, so the PSP used B only? thats cool then. Yea what i did was use mac address filterg found on the router setup page, and it let me set which clients ae allowed and i only put the computers. just to be onb the safe side ill put the router to 'g' signla only. thnx alot everyone

p.s. i think my connection is better now that i changed the signal to only broadcast G

Last edited:

dznutz

group therapy is always the best solution. if you want your little bro to succeed the best thing to do is to study in the library with him.

and yes, the higher the letter, the better everything is.

Vizy

group therapy is always the best solution. if you want your little bro to succeed the best thing to do is to study in the library with him.

and yes, the higher the letter, the better everything is.

ooo thnx. btw when i said his grades were bad, i meant they were worse, he is usually a straight A student ( i didnt get those genes) and on the report card past he receved B's and C's

Geoff

VIP Member
p.s. i think my connection is better now that i changed the signal to only broadcast G
Thats because if you have an 802.11b device on your wireless G network, then the entire network will slow down to the speed of 802.11b.

Homenet

[-0MEGA-];911921 said:
Thats because if you have an 802.11b device on your wireless G network, then the entire network will slow down to the speed of 802.11b.

Could you provide a source for this? Im not saying your lying, just be interested to see it proven. thanks.