How to test a PSU without components?

ganzey

banned
Switched mode power supplies have an absolute limit on their minimum current output. They are only able to output above a certain power level and cannot function below that point. In a no-load condition the frequency of the power slicing circuit increases in speed, causing the isolated transformer to act as a Tesla coil, causing damage due to the resulting very high voltage power spikes. Switched-mode supplies with protection circuits may briefly turn on but then shut down when no load has been detected. A very small low-power dummy load such as a ceramic power resistor or 10-watt light bulb can be attached to the supply to allow it to run with no primary load attached.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply#Switched-mode_power_supply
:rolleyes:

MacBook

banned
It all comes down to how the psu is built. They are not all the same. They have different "minimum load" requirements. Some are also built to handle "zero load". It all depends on the psu in question.
doesnt matter if they are silent, they still draw power. and 5w is considered a load
Exactly, and some are 5W, while others may be near 1-2W which isn't enough of a load, and then some don't need any load.

:D

It just proves my point.

ganzey

banned
Exactly, and some are 5W, while others may be near 1-2W which isn't enough of a load, and then some don't need any load.

It just proves my point.

that you can copy and paste? lol, jk. but wikipedia isnt exactly the most reliable source

MacBook

banned
It all comes down to how the psu is built. They are not all the same. They have different "minimum load" requirements. Some are also built to handle "zero load". It all depends on the psu in question.

doesnt matter if they are silent, they still draw power. and 5w is considered a load

that you can copy and paste? lol, jk. but wikipedia isnt exactly the most reliable source
While a few articles are questionable, topics like this are generally correct. And they are usually more up to date as the community adds to the articles to keep them up to date.

PohTayToez

It just proves my point.

Congratulations. You quoted a Wikipedia article which references a patent from 1995. Of course, it might be worth mentioning that the patent in reference is for a method of designing power supplies which creates a constant load above the minimum. This patent also references another patent from 1984 which does the same thing, but is less efficient. I think it's pretty safe to say that modern power supplies can be powered on with no external load without danger of damage.

Last edited:

ganzey

banned
also, if you read the patent

U.S. Pat. No. 3,524,124 discloses a system which switches a dummy load, a transistor, onto the output of a power supply in response to the output voltage of the supply rising above a predetermined level.

it was a patent to fix the problem (15 years ago) as stated above by pohtatoez

MacBook

banned
Yes, the patent was issued in 1995, however it is still in use today. Gas engines have remained relatively unchanged over the past century as well.

ganzey

banned
Yes, the patent was issued in 1995, however it is still in use today. Gas engines have remained relatively unchanged over the past century as well.

if it is in use, then that means you can run a power supply with no load because it will automatically compensate for there not being a load and create one.

obviously you know little to nothing about car. "relatively unchanged". yea, they are still internal combustion engines, but they have had thousands of upgrades and modifications.
a ford model t had a 2.9L 4 cyclinder with 20hp. now a 2.9 can put out over 500hp.

Last edited:

MacBook

banned
obviously you know little to nothing about car. "relatively unchanged". yea, they are still internal combustion engines, but they have had thousands of upgrades and modifications.
It is still a gasoline internal combustion engine, the main concept has remained unchanged.

ganzey

banned
yea, but from this:
deutz.jpg

to THIS:
Engine.jpg

is quite a difference. not to mention the several computers that are used to control modern car engines.

Are really turning this into an argument about gas engines?

i think he is becasue he is wrong about the power supplies. but cmon, lets not argue. this is a friendly exchange of who is right and who is wrong.

TO OP---if you want to be ABSOLUTELY POSOTIVE that is works, just pop it into your computer and see if it works

Last edited:

MacBook

banned
Alright, I give up, there is no convincing you guys. Yes they have changed lots of features of the engine, but the engine itself is still the same where it burns a mixture of gasoline and air to produce power.

PohTayToez

Yeah, we're just too darn stubborn. It's a personal problem I have. I get all caught up looking at the facts and I always forget to relentlessly defend everything I say until irrevocably proven wrong at which point I'll change the subject or give up under the pretense that it's the other person that's being stubborn. I'll try and work on that.

ganzey

banned
Yeah, we're just too darn stubborn. It's a personal problem I have. I get all caught up looking at the facts and I always forget to relentlessly defend everything I say until irrevocably proven wrong at which point I'll change the subject or give up under the pretense that it's the other person that's being stubborn. I'll try and work on that.

i think i have that as well

linkin

VIP Member
Actually, I what to know if because my PSU had no load when i tested it whether it is dead or not. if you need details ask me.