How to turn off Second Laptop Hard Drive?!

riponfrosh

Hey all. I recently bought a Dell Latitude e5430 laptop with a 128GB SSD drive. I wanted a bit more space for movies and music and such so I bought SATA hard drive caddy and stuck a 750 GB WD 7200 rpm drive in the optical bay.

My issue is, the thing runs full bore for the first 10 minutes or so after you turn on the computer! Or after you use it. If you trasfer a file to it, it runs for another 10 minutes (even after the file is transferred.) Currently there is nothing on the darn thing (other than one video file I transferred just to make sure it was working.) It actually vibrates the laptop and causes it to rattle!

Is there a way to tell it to power down? Or disconnect it when I don't need it (besides actually removing it...?) My laptop was relatively quiet, but now it's loud as all get out and vibrates if you set it on a sold surface. The hard drive will shut itself down after 5-10 minutes, is there a way to speed that up?

P.S. Windows recovery appears to be disabled for the drive...

Thanks!
Nick

riponfrosh

EDIT: Actually not fully resolved...

Cool. I turned it down to 1 minute and it turns off after a minute. I thought that both drives might be tied together (use something off of C drive and D kicks back on as well...) but that doesn't seem to be the case. I opened files on the C drive (SSD drive) and the second hard drive stayed off. Sweet!

That was simple... :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

riponfrosh

Ok, so... maybe not so simple. It still runs a LONG time when you start the computer back up. It ran at least 10 minutes, so I deleted a file off the drive to see if that would "reset the time" and it seemed to, as it then turned off after a minute. Not sure if it would have actually shut off on its own had I not performed an action with the drive...

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Some caddies come with a software which is designed to operate them.So that software might be using the drive.In that case exit or uninstall the software because you really do not need it.

Also have you tryed connecting and using the drive with a simple USB wire WITHOUT the caddy?
Such as this one:
2-5-hdd-protector-with-usb-to-sata-cable_khghht1361155055551.jpg

Cheers!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Some caddies come with a software which is designed to operate them.So that software might be using the drive.In that case exit or uninstall the software because you really do not need it.

Also have you tryed connecting and using the drive with a simple USB wire WITHOUT the caddy?
Such as this one:
Cheers!

You don't seem to understand why he wants the caddy. It has a purpose :p

PohTayToez

Couldn't you just eject it when not in use and then when you want to use it again, go to device manager and detect new devices?

Although honestly I don't see the issue with just manually unplugging it.