How to uncompress items?!!!

I tried to free up space on my hard drive so I compressed the items in my "(C:)" folder. Those items turned blue and now I am having trouble using my CDRW/ DVD player that is internally installed on my HP. I am also having overall problems with windows. I believe that it is due to me compressing those items. I have tried to click on several items that are blue to "extract" them but that option is not available. I don't know what to do....Will someone please help me:mad:
Meilah

Yeah I do have winrar. I have really tried to "extract" the items with winwar, but i can not do it. The icons are blue but not actually ziped. I felt that if they were zipped I could use winrar to extract them.

What do you mean by "blue" could you take a picture. when the screen is up press print screen Then go into paint and paste it in. Then save and post.

well i am not able to locate a print screen but what I meant by blue is that the icon is its regular color, the writing underneath the icon is in blue instead of its standard black

i went to the control panel and clicked on performance and maintenance. From there I clicked on "free up space on hard drive". When doing that I choose the (C:) folder to free up space in and the the item that were not used everday got compressed. The icons still show but some of them ( the imporant ones) now have writings under them that are in blue then the standard black color. I can not uncompress them using winrar becuase they do not look zipped like a folder or the winwar icon. When clicking on them a small window opens that asks me "what do I want to open them with?" Nothing will open it.

What I do know is that when prompted and I chose the C drive, it said " isk clean up is calculating how much space can be freed up on your hard drive." Then is said on the bottom of the page, "compressing old files". I am afraid to do it again to see what happened after that, but to my knowledge that was all.

well I got it to turn blue, but I haven't figured out how to decompress them though. However, on my pc they are still useable when compressed.

yes they are still useable but I feel this has resulting in me losing my CDRW/DVD drivers and Windows running slow. I don't want to take up too much of your time, I really do appreciate you trying to help me. If you come with something else I can do please let me know.

well, I found out how to turn them back to being decompressed. The answer isn't easy though. You have to highlight files, then right click, press properties, advanced, and uncheck the compress box.