How's HF2 running in your comp?

haryanto4

ok, my comp's spec is :

AMD AThlon XP 2400+, 2.00Ghz
512 mb ddr
radeon 9800 pro 128 (with the latest 5.1 ati catalyst)
aureal vortex sound card A8830
abit kg-7 motherboard
maxtor 4k040h2 and quantum fierball as20.5

it's old,..i know ,...

now, according to HF2 i can only play at medium level of graphic, but who cares, so i tried to run it in full/high level at 1024x768 AA of and still trilinear filtering and it works just fine. i tried to the the videos stress test from CS and (also at the same setting) i averaged around 60-62fps. <--prob i am wrong

i tried different setting, this time it's full/ high level but with 16x aniso,..without AA,....i got 60fps average at video stress test

now, when i tried to put the AA on 2x, i only got 50+ fps, and at 4xAA i only got around 40+fps....(at cs video stress test)

it's a different story when i am actually playing the HF 2game,.....at some level of the game (mostly when i got into hallway, inside the building, and other small contained place) i managed to see green 3 digits FPs (using the HF2 console cl_showfps 1), and i knew it was a good sign,...but at some level, eg : the canal route, where you see a train comin by and when you start having gun,....my fps dropped to,....5 fps :p <--this is with 4xAA,...but if i turned it down to 2xAA i got around 10,...aaannd if i turned the AA off, i got 17-25fps,....

my worry is that probably i am focusing on the wrong problem, i thought well, ok radeon 9800 pro 128mb probably isn't that good,..but then i realized when i'm running at full option wiht 16x aniso and 2x/4x AA,..my computer shut down :p ( i actually like to see that) and i realize that this is a sign of memory RAM lack,....other things that i worry about is the processor itself,....and last but not least is my HD,.....

now, i want to know what you guys think about this,... if i want to play HF2 at least with 2x AA,...and have a proper 25+ fps ( i don't ask much, cause my eyes can only take so much),..at the most demanding part of the game, what should i do? should i throw out my PC and get a new one (please make this as the last option),..should i upgrade my memory,..or cpu,...or should i just suck it up and play without AA?

i really appreciate your opinion on this.

p.s. anyone play richard burns rally?

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. AA doesnt mean shit simply because ur moving too much for it to be an issue (well you should be .. HL2 isnt like FarCry where you gotta sneak around)

2. The 9800Pro is no X800 but its certainly not a bad card for that game and should hold up a lot better ... but then again i dont suspect the v.c. is the bottleneck but rather the CPU.

Greg J.

VIP Member
Get another 512MB of RAM. I mean, look at my specs, I'm not a gamer and I like 1GB of RAM to run Photoshop, Internet, e-mail, ms office, spysweeper, and stupid Norton all at once (as I like to multi-task for long periods. I have played the HL2 demo on the lowest possible settings, and it ran great. I also enjoy maximum computer speed, even if its only a (ahem, as Praetor might say) 5% increase. :D

grodii

HL2 Runs flawless on my machine.

Dell 2.6
1GB pc800 dual channell
Geforce 3 ti500
80gb, 120gb drives
dvd 1st bay, cdrw 2nd bay.

I just recently upped the ram, it was running perfect on 512 as well.

grodii

Praetor said:
Flawlessly at what settings?

i'll check when I get home... how is your video card? That's definately my next upgrade, I was looking at the X800 series from ATI, but they look a little spendy.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I say the prob is with the amount of ram... Cpu upgrade couldn't hurt but If you cannot afford such an upgrade then concentrate on the ram for some performance increase.