Hows this PC build for *~Crysis~*

omglol

I am going to be buying a new PC in time for Crysis

I have $1500(Canadian) to spend including tax

***********After some of my parts I have listed questions about each that I would like to know!**************

Here's what I have

$90 Antec New Solution NSK4480B (Black) ATX Tower Case

$140 OCZ GameXStream 700W Power supply
(do I need this many watts if I am not going SLi?)

$109 Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo

$219 Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
(why is this cheaper than the E6600?)

$189 OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC Edition 2GB
(should I go with 2gb of fast ram or 4gb of slower ram?)

$599 eVGA 8800GTX

$69 WD SE 160GB

$35 LG DVD writer

Total $1450 and with tax that's $1653 (wow I hate 14% tax in Ontario)

Anyways it seems I am over, I want to be able to run Crysis on my 22' or 24' monitor (that expense is not included as I am not paying for the monitor)so that's either at 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 with absolutely NO hiccups.

Is there anything to reduce the cost of my build while still allowing me to play on those resolutions or should I keep the build and just have to save up?

Thank you

hermeslyre

VIP Member
A quality 500w with 30-35 amps on the 12v line is good enough for that build. Looks good though. Honestly, none of us can tell you if that system will hold up maxed settings at that res. The newest talks with the developers claim that maxing out Crysis will need the best of the best of todays tech, which you come close to having. Eh, it'll probably run fine the way you want it.

omglol

Ok well I am not looking to really MAX the settings, just have them on high..

also should I get a board that can support DDR3? I am looking for this to last a good 2-3 years, should I worry about future proofing?

also if I have 4gb of ram will I benefit that much more?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
DDR3 is expensive, and it offers very little improvement over DDR2. It wouldn't be necessary in the least, as DDR2 will remain fine for the next 2+ years. 4Gb of RAM may be a benefit later on, in the future, but it will not help now. 4Gb's of RAM can only improve performance if it's being used, and most of the time it will not. I suggest going with two, and buying another 2Gb later. It will be cheaper, and you can keep the extra money you would've spent.

If you want to play Crysis with high settings and a good FPS, you'll need better parts overall...like a Q6600 (Crysis will support quad-core) and an 8800GTS. You'll probably get decent results with your current setup, just saying you should prob save up and step up your build.

andy faith

Yeh I was gonna suggest getting a quad core processor as ti supports it and therefore you will get better perormance. Also it means that it will last longer.

I vote GTX and Q6600, he was just saying to get the GTS instead of the GTX, to justify the price difference between the processors.

The E6750 is cheaper that the E6600, b/c the manufacturing method has allowed for cheaper production of the 1333FSB CPU's.

Kilauea

banned
I would ask where you are buying from in Canada. And also, are you in need for a new computer right now or can you wait ? Because there are always new parts, lower prices coming and you will know better what you need for what you want when Crysis actually comes out. Otherwise its a great system, some would go for Q6600, I would tend to think that Crysis wouldn't use the quad core as effectively as it could, but that's just what I think. I expect it to be a lot more effective in its use of a dual core, but I could and most like will be wrong.

Bradan

I vote GTX and Q6600, he was just saying to get the GTS instead of the GTX, to justify the price difference between the processors.

The E6750 is cheaper that the E6600, b/c the manufacturing method has allowed for cheaper production of the 1333FSB CPU's.

can you link me to some proof?

i think the 6750 is cheaper because it has an 8x multiplier instead of a 9x, so actually its an fsb overclocked e6420... kind of sad people pay money for it.

they have the same 65nm core and level of cache, as well as stepping, right?

if you live in ontario like me, buy from directcanada.com , they are allot cheaper. you get free shipping over 300$ and dont pay 8%pst. you only get 6% tax

Last edited: