Hp chromebook 14 screen red where its suppose to be black

waffles

I have a HP Chromebook that shows red dots everywhere where theres suppose to be black. It started when I pushed my screen to far back and at first, it would work fine if I didn't push my screen too far back but now its red no matter what position the screen is in. I opened it up and I messed with the connection from the screen to the motherboard but that didn't fix it. Does anyone know how to fix it?
Thanks
T9J1xj1.jpg

lTIv3WN.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If its red dots, its probably bad pixels, you can try replacing the screen. Can you show a picture of what you are talking about?

waffles

Its not bad pixels. I know this because when it first broke, it would still work if I didnt push the screen all the way back. Also I dont think all the pixels on my screen would go bad at once. Im convinced its has something to do with the connection since it looks fine in certain positions.
HVfwCTq.jpg

iIhrFUi.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thats why I had you post a photo of it. Yeah, its a connection issue somewhere, could be a cut in the cable where its close to the hinges.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can try replacing the actual video cable totally. Can't be more than a few bucks I would think. What is the exact model of chromebook? Is there a part number listed on the video cable?

Laquer Head

I had a similar issue to this years ago with a Toshiba Satellite.

My belief was the monitor cable to mobo shifted enough that it was getting pinched in the hinge..I never did fix it though, at that point i disconnect screen and used the body connected to a TV for the rest of its lifespan.