HP DM3-1030 or Dell Inspiron 13z

Carlm90

I need your honest opinion on these choices as I've narrowed a wide range of laptops down to these two.

Dell Inspiron 13z with higher spec
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...dhs1&~oid=uk~en~20211~inspiron-13z_n00z1303~~

£599

HP DM3-1030sa
http://www.myce.com/notebooks-laptops/500gb-laptops/HP-Pavilion-dm3-1030-108925/specs/

£519

Looking for overall value for money, I'm not bothered about the price of each one but I want to know which laptop has the most laptop for the money you pay and which you would recommend. I'm personally pulled towards the dell having a great Inspiron 1545 and it performing great.
Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I assume the HP has the SU4100 processor. It's essentially identical to that Core2 in the Dell, just with 1MB less cache. I actually have that in my new Toshiba plus I've tried the SU7300. You won't notice any difference between them in normal usage and very little under heavy CPU usage. I also think the SU4100 lacks some virtualization features (VT-x I believe) but again, probably nothing you'd need on a normal basis.

Personally, I'd probably go with the HP. It's cheaper and performance would be similar. The dedicated GPU is nice in the Dell, but being so low end, you'd probably gain little to no performance. Plus the Intel GMA 4500 can support hardware accelerated flash and H.264.

Carlm90

I went ahead and bought the HP DM3 because I was more pleased with the aluminium finish. The only issue I have is the heat that the thing is pumping out. The aluminium is hot! Is this purely because it's aluminium?

spsfinest212

I went ahead and bought the HP DM3 because I was more pleased with the aluminium finish. The only issue I have is the heat that the thing is pumping out. The aluminium is hot! Is this purely because it's aluminium?

All laptops produce heat I doubt it's the aluminum probably more to do with the size of the laptop and limited ventilation.

Carlm90

All laptops produce heat I doubt it's the aluminum probably more to do with the size of the laptop and limited ventilation.

The thing has some nice big air vents on the side so I don't think ventilation is an issue. I would assume the aluminium conducts heat more than plastic like on the Dell Inspiron 1545 and the heat is constant so I don't think it's something to be worried about.