HP Elitebook 8460p Screen Only works on Battery (turns off plugged in)

amodoko

Hi, I have an HP Elitebook 8460p laptop that has an i7 processor and is running Windows 10 Pro. Everything on it works, as far as I can tell, except the screen turns off when I plug the laptop into it's charger. The screen only works on battery for some reason. So I basically can only use the laptop when it is running on its battery power. Once I plug the charger into the laptop, the laptop stays on and is running but the screen shuts off and turns black. When I unplug the charger, the screen turns back on. I'm assuming this is some weird video driver conflict, but I haven't been able to find the correct fix for this. The only way I've found to work around this is to plug the laptop in while it's running, then put it into standby mode, then wake it back up, and then the screen does work while it's plugged in. But once I unplug the charger and then plug it back in, it goes back to not working while plugged in. So I guess you could say putting it into standby and waking it up temporarily solves the problem. I tried downloading different video drivers online and none of the ones I have found fixed the issue. I would greatly appreciate anyone that can help me solve this problem. Thanks so much

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Remove the battery and plug it in and see it acts normally. Doesn't sound like a driver issue to me, more of a hardware issue, or maybe a power setting is set wrong.

amodoko

Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated. I messed around with it a bit more and I found a solution that works. I downloaded a Windows 10 Hotkey driver for HP laptops so I could control the brightness/etc. in Windows 10. After installing drivers for hot keys I realized the ambient light sensor was on (I don't know why it was), and I had to turn it off. Once I turned that off, it solved the problem. What I found was that when the laptop was on battery the screen wasn't fully bright, but when I then plugged the charger in, it would force the laptop screen to go to its brightest setting and shut the screen off. If I then lowered the brightness a notch, it would allow the screen to be on both while plugged in or on battery. If I put the brightness on max, it would turn off the screen on battery or while plugged in. So then I messed with the ambient light sensor, and turned it off, and now it works fine. I can go on full brightness without any issues now no matter what, as long as the ambient light sensor is disabled. Do you know why the ambient light sensor shuts off the screen when the screen is set to its max brightness? I'm just happy that the issue is resolved now but I am curious as to why having the ambient light sensor on while having the laptop be on its brightest screen setting causes the screen to go black. Thanks again for your time