HP Pavilion 7966 --- Video Card

theboy

Okay, need a little help here. I have an old HP Pavilion 7966 with what seems a video card issue. The screen flickers and turns off and on several times randomly. I have updated the video card driver in safe mode several times as well. However, I have never received the blue screen.

At this point I just want to replace the card but its AGP. Would you guys recommend getting a PCI card instead?
HP Pavilion 7966

Thanks in advance;)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
pc133 memory, you've got to be kidding me... I myself wouldn't put any more money into that machine with it being so old. I would save up and build a cheap amd system.

theboy

pc133 memory, you've got to be kidding me... I myself wouldn't put any more money into that machine with it being so old. I would save up and build a cheap amd system.

Yeah, I know! However this family friend will not let go of her system.:rolleyes:
Do you think getting an AGP or PCI video card would be better? Currently they have AGP.

Also, even if I put a new video card in I don't know that will cure the issue.:eek:

Drenlin

AGP for sure. You're fine with older models. I'd shoot for a Geforce 7xxx or Radeon HD3xxx.

Also, if you can convince them to add a cheap 512MB stick of RAM and one of the faster Northwood P4's(400mhz fsb), it'll have a longer useful lifespan for them. XP can just barely run inside 768MB without overflowing the RAM, so 1GB would make it comfortable.

Last edited:

theboy

Thanks for all the replies. Currently they have an AGP nVidia FX5200 128MB. It's weird as there screen flickers off and on several times until you end a task...hmmm hopefully this new video card will cure that problem.

Here is what I am looking to purchase:
Newegg Link

What do you think?

Thanks!:good: