HP Pavilion DV4 1465dx does not boot past Windows Logo

CaffeineTripp

This is apparently a prevalent problem within the DV4 community with Windows Vista, upgrading the BIOS, and possibly something to do with an AVG system file.
I've downloaded the AVG Recovery file to a USB, booted into that and attempted a scan on the computer's hard drive and boot. Both seem to be fine. Renamed all AVG files, as instructed by AVG themselves, to .bak. This apparently helped the AVG problem among having a couple viruses and trojans (which I think is the major problem going on here).
Now I've com across one other problem trying a Safe Mode boot (in either straight Safe Mode, with networking, etc.), Windows will not boot after Classpnp.sys is reached on a Safe Mode boot.
Running a chkdsk will receive no errors to the hard drive.
Sometimes after sitting for a while on the Windows logo screen while booting a BSOD will appear very shortly and the computer will restart.
I am able to adjust the BIOS to boot from either the USB stick or the internal hard drive itself, but cannot boot from CD/DVD with a recovery CD of Windows 7 (which is installed on the computer currently) or any other recovery disc for that matter.
It's a friend's boyfriend's computer, so lord knows what's been done to it for the software or hardware. They're not too tech savvy.
HP Pavilion dv4 1465dx Windows 7 (not sure what bit)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you see the blue screen code listed on the screen before it reboots? If not, boot to safe mode options and choose to disable automatic restart on error. The next time it blue screens it won't restart and you can see the code listed. Tell us the code it displays and if there is a file name involved.

And are you sure its a dv4-1465dx, there isn't one on HP but there is a dv4-1435dx.

(and John, I checked this was posted yesterday... :) )

SoMeAm

Verified HP Representative
CaffeineTripp, sorry to hear of your notebook challenges. I have searched the Troubleshooting FAQs and Alerts for your model and did not find that upgrading the bios in the DV4s is a prevalent problem; of course, this is not to minimize the problem you are experiencing.

You have received advice from one of the experts in this business. If it is determined that you need a new set of recovery cds, please contact me at [email protected] attn: Priscilla with your contact information and product number and serial number.

kmkrreeves1, a dv4-1465dx is a valid model for HP. For ready reference, here is the link to the product specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...04&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3979340

Regards,

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Have you tested the RAM? (memtest or HP's utility)

Have you performed a full hard drive test? As in using a tool such as Seatools or even HP's built-in utility?

Have you confirmed the bios settings? You say something about updating the BIOS. I don't think many HPs give control over this but confirm the SATA mode is on AHCI/Enhanced, or something like that... Not IDE/Compatibility/Legacy...

Can you boot of ANY CD? If so, could you obtain another copy of Windows, boot to the Recovery Console and run System Restore and/or try re-writing the MBR (fixboot, fixmbr, rebuildbcd).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392