Hp Pavillion a1640n upgrade help

jasonxman

banned
Hello I have a Hp Pavillion a1640n and it's video card sucks and the Power Supply can someone direct me to a site like fry.com or newegg.com and direct me to a awesome PSU and Graphic Card.

My Budget is $1000 dollars

ceewi1

VIP Member
AFAIK There's no SLI or Crossfire support on that system, so you're limited to a single video card. The 8800GTX is the best single video card available now. This leaves plenty of money left over for your PSU, but it's not necessary to spend it all. The Corsair HX520W is a great quality PSU that's more than sufficient for that system with a single 8800GTX.

Last edited:

jasonxman

banned
So if I were to buy this $500 graphic card and this $100 PSU I would be able to insert this into my computer and play some crazy games with high FPS!?

I curious as to know how did you know these were compatable with my motherboard? or is there not such thing with these products.

ceewi1

VIP Member
There are very few possible issues with those components. Any PCI-E video card and any ATX PSU will work (provided it puts out enough power, of course). As for performance, there will obviously be a huge improvement. You'll find a bit of a CPU bottleneck, however.

jasonxman

banned
I'm sure of those two components working together, but about my motherboard with the graphic card even fit? Do I have the right connecter pins? Am I missing something here?

daisymtc

I don't know the spec. for your HP. But I think you should check 2 things before you first.
1. Is the GPU with APG slot or PCI-E slot.
2. What type of PSU is current using? ATX or mATX and is it 20 pins/ 24 pins?

chupacabra

I would suggest you to get the 8800gtx, corsair psu and maybe a new case/better heatsink/fans cuz it'll overheat like mad

jasonxman

banned
I don't know the spec. for your HP. But I think you should check 2 things before you first.
1. Is the GPU with APG slot or PCI-E slot.
2. What type of PSU is current using? ATX or mATX and is it 20 pins/ 24 pins?

answer

1. I have a PCI-E X16
2. I cannot find it how would I find it? My ram has 240 pins

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I personally think that coolermaster is nice. but i have stuck with the Spire cases. Just get one with good warranty and that uses good shipping!

jasonxman

banned
How could I change the case because my hp pavilion motherboard has a certain place for things and if I were to buy a new case where will those go?

cryption

the CPU is a C2D. With a video card alone you'll be fine. I am using the HP power supply and am not having any troubles, of course I'm only running a 7900 on mine. Also your HP has an Asus manufactured ATX motherboard. And the cases have pretty good airflow too, I'm really surprised when I got mine.

jasonxman

banned
My cpu is C2D as well. (i'm assuming that C2D is Core 2 Duo Processor). I notice that your using HP Power Supply and is not having any problems with the air flow. With the nVidia geforce 7900gs being 256mb of video memory doesn't fit my need. I want something 512 or 756mb with a better Power Supply and knowing if I do change it will the airflow slow or hurt my computer.

cryption

what temps are you running right now, really you don't need to worry about temps unless they're already high before you upgrade