HP Pavillion DV6000 and Staples Horror

jbrown456

Hello everyone,
I wanted to post here today to see if anyone else has problems like me with their laptops. Last christmas I bought a Hp Pavillion DV6000 laptop referbished from staples on a boxing day blowout sale. I also bought a 3 year extended warrenty, thinking it would be a good idea considering it was a referbished laptop.

After this, I took it home, played with it, got everthing how I liked it, and used it for months with no problems. I decided during this time to downgrade it from Vista (ew) to my own copy of Xp pro, which worked flawlessly. I again used the laptop for months with no problems. One day I went to school, and discoved that my wireless card was shot. After some searching online I found this was a common problem with this laptop, and lined up at Staples and sent it in for repairs. It took 3 weeks to get my laptop back, however all data was still there, and the wireless worked, so I was happy, but upset that it took so long.

That was 2 months ago roughly. Last week I got my laptop back from staples again, I had to send it in because the charger cord wasn't working. They insisted that I had to send the whole laptop away, even though there was nothing wrong with it, just the charger. So I said sure, why not. This repair also took 3 weeks. I got it back and within two days already started to have problems. The laptop randomly freezes up during boot up and shows vertical lines through the screen. It sometime will boot up and work, however if you even slightly move it, it will lock up and get the vertical lines. It seems this only happens whenever it is moved, however if you leave the laptop perfectly still it would run for hours.

I wasn't going to live my life with a laptop that I can't move without it locking up, and me loosing all of the stuff I was working on, so I again went and lined up at staples. The man there noticed a crack in the casing of the screen (the plastic around it) and asked me if I had dropped my computer. I hadn't, and couldn't think of anything that would make that crack except for when it was shipped back from warrenty repair. I told him this, but he quickly denied all possibilities of that. He inspected the laptop and had it freeze up on him twice (no surprises), but insisted that because the computer would boot up and run if not moved, the computer would pass all tests and probably nothing would be done to fix my computer. I said that i would still like him to ship it off to HP and try, because my laptop was useless the way it was. He said okay, and sent it off...

I'm going to be waiting another 3 weeks for it now... :mad: It really sucks not having it for school... Has anyone else here had anything similar happen... I just don't want to go through more problems with these people.

Jeff

eeffis

Take a look at the warranty packet that came with the computers extended warranty. I think most of them have a no lemon guarantee. I know some other retailers have this rule and if it breaks 3 times, they replace it on the 4th time. However, I think the 3 break rule may have to be the same problem, IE the wireless card would need to be repaired 3 times before replacing the PC and if you had 5 different problems, it may not be covered with the lemon rule. Worth taking a look.