HP Printer Question

soccerdude

Hi guys,

I have a HP Photosmart C4240 Printer and I am having a bit of problems with it. I have installed the drivers with the C.D. that came with my printer however every time I put in the USB plug in the USB port Windows automatically detects new hardware and starts installing the drivers all over again.

Is there anyway to make this stop?

Thanks

PC eye

banned
That shows Windows is detecting things properly and automatically prompting for device drivers whenever you start the system up without the printer already plugged in. The same goes for external usb drives where you simply leave those plugged in at all times to avoid seeing the install software prompt coming up on you.

You can disable the AutoPlay feature with a registry edit. But I don't think you would want that. Simply make sure it's plugged in prior to booting whenever you are planning to print something out in order to avoid seeing the prompts in the first place. The printer and usb external drive are simply left plugged in here constantly.

PC eye

banned
This is a common situation where Windows will automatically prompt on anything you plug in once Windows is loaded already when the fresh detection takes place there. With the printer here or the external usb drive reformatted to NTFS from the factory Fat32 the autoplay prompt will appear just like you toseed a music cd or dvd into a drive when waiting until Windows is up before replugging it in. At least you know Windows is working as it should there.