HP Proliant ML110 G7 ... Windows 11 or Bin?

Witterings

I've just retrieved an HP Proliant ML110 G7 Server that's been in storage for over 6 years, does anyone know if I can install Windows 11 on it or how I'd go about finding out if it's possible?

At the moment it won't actually boot up it gets stuck as it's trying to, it seems to try some sort of recovery and then asks if I want to boot from CD Rom.

The specs are here
https://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2011/poweryourdream/HP_ProLiant_ML110_G7_Datasheet.pdf

I wouldn't know which imformation was needed just to pick it out and list it myself, it looks as though it was available with different processors, the one in mine I think is the Intel i3 and it had Windows Small Business Server 2011 running on it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would just bin it, sounds like its got a hard drive issue. You will not be able to install 11 to that since it doesn't have a compatible processor in it.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Gen 7 servers were reaching the end of their usable life when I got into enterprise IT in 2014. I'd junk it myself.

Witterings

Cheers for everybody's input has made me reaslise it's obviously not going to be any good as a desktop PC.

Not sure if it's possible but thinking about installing Ubuntu on it, I've wanted to try Linux for a long time but never had a computer it really didn't matter if I "Broke it" before so may just try it for fun and out of personal interest, if anyone knows if it'd work?

If it does, I may look at whether it'd be any good as a storage solution and if so consider getting larger drives if it was sustainable as they're 500gb at the moment and would have thought it a better option than buying a Western Digital style storage box?

If anyone has any thoughts / input if it can be done and if so do I need to download drivers or anything before doing it or would a Ubuntu install / find them.

Any links anyone knows of how to go about this appreciated as well, I'm not "frightened" of computers but I've never installed Windows on a machine before but am quite happy doing lot's of other bits, setting up mail accounts, redirecting DNS records, finding Admin logins for "locked" ISP routers so I can totally reconfigure etc. so sure it's not beyond me with some online tutorials and help.

Little things where I wouldn't know where to start are it's currently setup as some sort of RAID array, am I best off removing one of the drives to do it initially.

Anyway if anyone has any suggestions would be appreciated, I'll be googling for Linux help in the meantime and thanks again for everyone's input.

beers

Staff member
If there's functional storage on it you could install Ubuntu if you wanted, even if the drive doesn't work you could use the LiveUSB to boot into a working environment.

Those have SAS controllers which also support SATA drives. The controller should give you a keystroke combination at boot like CTRL+C (may be different) in order to access the RAID menu. On some controllers if you want to use a single drive you'd set a one drive raid0 array, or you could wipe what's there and set up a new array and it would dump all of the data.

Witterings

or you could wipe what's there and set up a new array and it would dump all of the data.

Not bothered about any data on it, anything that was important was copied across to a drive before it went into storage 6+ years ago so can be totally erased.