HP recalling 54,000 laptop batteries

ganzey

banned
I'm sorry, but HP sucks. We have never owned a quality HP product, and we have had a desktop, laptop, and at least 3 printers/scanners

well thats weird. i have an hp netbook, an hp dv2000 laptop, my sister has an hp dv4000 laptop, my bro has an hp dv9000 laptop, my parents have an hp desktop, and their old computer was an hp as well. never had a problem with any of them

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
well thats weird. i have an hp netbook, an hp dv2000 laptop, my sister has an hp dv4000 laptop, my bro has an hp dv9000 laptop, my parents have an hp desktop, and their old computer was an hp as well. never had a problem with any of them

I have a pile of DV4000 and DV9000's sitting at the computer shop. All have bad mobos.

Slacker7

And if you look at the links to articles just below you read:

Nokia will recall 14 million faulty chargers

and...

PC makers recall 100,000 Sony battery packs

and let us not forget Segate's 7200.11 harddrive firmware bricking almost a countless # of drives...

...and then step back a little ways in time and remember all those motherboard manufacturer's who sold countless boards with bad bulging capacitors creating a major epic FAIL.

* Now I'm no HP fanboi but this type of stuff goes well beyond them. And NO I am not excusing them in the least. As voyagerfan99 rghtly points out "I have a pile of DV4000 and DV9000's sitting at the computer shop. All have bad mobos." That was another major fail on HP's part and their replacement boards were much good.

By the way, my mom has an HP desktop that has been doing her just fine and my daughter's 3 year old Compaq is solid.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
We get about 3 DV6000s/DV9000s in every week with completely dead motherboards. Now we get to warn people about the possible battery issues. Yay!

My new avatar has me gnawing on a dv6000, if you can't tell :p

and let us not forget Segate's 7200.11 harddrive firmware bricking almost a countless # of drives...

We had a new computer build. While it was being built, a Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB died. Tech grabbed another, finished the install. A week later the computer comes back; the drive has completely died again. You'd think by now they'd have this crap sorted out :mad: And my boss even confirmed, these drives aren't the "affected" ones.

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Uh, so you are like a cartoon character in real life?

Yes, didn't you know that? Combing my fur daily, being careful not to roll over my tail with my chair, filing down my claws so I don't scratch anyone/anything... It's a tough life.

... :p

No, it's just a character my girlfriend designed/drew for me :rolleyes:

Slacker7

We get about 3 DV6000s/DV9000s in every week with completely dead motherboards. Now we get to warn people about the possible battery issues. Yay!

We had a new computer build. While it was being built, a Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB died. Tech grabbed another, finished the install. A week later the computer comes back; the drive has completely died again. You'd think by now they'd have this crap sorted out :mad: And my boss even confirmed, these drives aren't the "affected" ones.

I am wondering about those DV6000s because my daughter's laptop is a Compaq DV6000 (V6310US to be exact) that we bought in May 0f 2007 and it has been rock solid except in the past 5 monthys her wireless internet has failed. Long story short, I replaced the wireless LAN minicard but no change. HP tech's answer after I did every thing possible and attempting every step they gave me (including reseating said card) believes it is the system board.

So my question to you The_Other_One is what should I keep my eye out for concerning other possible board failures? I ran harddrive diagnostics and the drive is good. USB ports, DVD drive, RAM, screen and graphics all good. She has used it for the past 3 years in college and if I can keep it going for one more year so much the better. It really does everything she needs it to do.

Also, weren't the DV6000 board issues arising from 2008 and on? I thought I just read that somewhere recently. Also, does HP make any good series models now?

As for Seagate they lost a slew of customers because of their .11 fiasco. I believe the 12s are fine though, correct?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
My grandparents had a Compaq with the same board/problems as the dv6000s. Their first problems began with their wireless card failing. However, like your problem, it ended up being the board itself. A month or two after that started, the computer died.

The problem is the heat buildup around the chipset. The chip begins to warp and pull away from the board. You can repair this with a heatgun, essentially heating up the chip and pressing it back into place with some blunt object. I hear of some people having great sucess doing this. I've tried it and I can get my grandparent's laptop fully functioning again...but then it dies completely after around 24 hours.

And yes... The .12 drives from Seagate are fine much like many of HPs latest computers. It's really just the DV6000's with Nvidia chipsets.

linkin

VIP Member
Perhaps you could try a pressure mod the keep the chipset in place? that would involve using a washer or something to wedge the chip into place, and it would also void any warranty :eek:

Just google "thermalright true washer mod" and you'll see what i mean. they stick a washer between the heatpipes and the bit that goes onto the CPU ands tighten the screws for better temperatures.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Pressure would probably work if there were a larger surface area or more room around the chip. It's got a very small die, so there's really no space to press down on it. Also the CPU cooler also cools the chipset on these. You must be sure whatever mods are done don't affect how the CPU is cooled (IE being unlevel).

Slacker7

Okay, I'll keep an eye on it. She has been using a good cooling pad and that seems to be keeping her laptop running much cooler. Will this help?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
My grandparents had theirs on a pad too. It wasn't a cooling pad, but had a mesh bottom for more airflow. Honestly, I doubt anything would help it unless it has direct contact to the chipset.

Slacker7

My grandparents had theirs on a pad too. It wasn't a cooling pad, but had a mesh bottom for more airflow. Honestly, I doubt anything would help it unless it has direct contact to the chipset.

First, thanks much for answering my questions. Second, is the chipset located next to the mini LAN wire card? There is an Nvidia chip right next to it and they have it covered with a thin clear plastic as if to protect it.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I'm pretty sure you can see one of the chipset's by the wifi card, but it's not the offending chip. I actually considered messing with mine at some point. Maybe I'll get some photos and such...

Ruby02

Very glad that HP do this way before people get injuries from battery overheating and rupturing. And Lucky for me, I don't have any HP laptops in my house.