Husband added network card - now cannot get internet

cecee

Please help. My husband added a network card and then removed it and uninstalled everything he had just added. Now we can't get any websites - except a few like Ebay. What we get when we try any other websites is something along the lines of "...check the name and try again"

Can anyone help?
Thanks!!
Cecee

cecee

No we are running 98. I tried to get more info from him last night on the problem...trying to help him out by finding a solution. Anyway, he says he believes it has something to do with Protocol(?). That the hardware is not communicating with the software, or the application or something like that. (He's not giving me too much information as you can tell).

Is there something I can check myself on the computer to pinpoint the problem, or any detailed questions I can ask him?? Thanks so much for any help anyone can give me.
Cecee

SlothX311

im thinking that your websites that you are able to view are stored and that you are working offline.....

are you going through a modem again, or a different NIC card?

cecee

We have Verizon DSL and it is showing connected. I even uninstalled and reinstalled it with absolutely no problems. When we try to get on any websites it says, for example..."www.msn.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again."

cecee

Husband added... more info

He added a second card in hopes of sharing the internet connection with the laptop. It wasn't working so he removed the second card and now the first one wont fully connect to verizon. He removed and reinstalled the one and only card and it still won't connect fully.

Last edited:

kobaj

VIP Member
Stick that card back in take out the other card install the files that came with the new card and that should work. But I cant remember how but if you do some stuff in your control panels netowrk connection thingy you can get internet on that laptop and your computer.

Bobo

banned
Call Verizon, make sure you have the right pppoe (or whatever it uses) address. It could have been set back to default, and default might not be what you want

cecee

So I called Verizon this weekend and got some additional info. Everything is set up with their software just fine. After checking out many, many things with them they basically threw their hands up and said they have no idea what the actual problem is. When we go onto the internet through the backdoor (ping with the ip address) he said we are going right there no problem but we cannot get there through internet explorer. All the settings are fine.

Does this sound familiar to anyone, at all???