Hyperthreading tech

4W4K3

VIP Member
In some games it will really hurt performance (even though they advertise it as boosting games...just depends on what game) Also i think it will run faster in certain benchmarks with it off. Might improve overclocking with the feature disabled? not 100% sure as i never owned an Intel with that technology.

computerdude2004

It doesn't work as well with overclocking, because of the "multiple threads". The CPU will quickly heat, faster than it would without hyperthreading. I always keep it on, but I don't overclock either. Most software doesn't use it, but what software uses 64bit processing from AMD? It is just an extra feature.

4W4K3

VIP Member
computerdude2004 said:
but what software uses 64bit processing from AMD? It is just an extra feature.

what does that have to do with anything? HT is an added feature that will be incompatible in a while, 64-bit is an entire new platform soon to take over the entire computer world. there's a big difference.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
It could also be said that the 64 bit cpus by AMD have other nice little features like on cpu memory controller which makes a large difference today and tommorrow :)..

superflysmith

computerdude2004 said:
It doesn't work as well with overclocking, because of the "multiple threads". The CPU will quickly heat, faster than it would without hyperthreading. I always keep it on, but I don't overclock either. Most software doesn't use it, but what software uses 64bit processing from AMD? It is just an extra feature.

I had my 3.4 oc to 3.75. It did so well I just up'd it to 3.92 tonight so I'll have to see how stable it is. So far so good. My temps are 39c right now as I'm copying music and using 63% of the CPU. Cd's copied and now I'm at 33C. As for HT I love it, it works great for me.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't work as well with overclocking, because of the "multiple threads"
Threads are a software thing and have nothing to do withthe hardware side. Consider for instance Linux which doesnt support HT (as well) ... as far as Linux is concerned, the P4HT is the same as the P4 ... and you can OC it regardless.

The CPU will quickly heat, faster than it would without hyperthreading
Well if you're doing stuff that makes use of HT (i.e., super intensive CPU stuffos), its gonna heat up period, HT or otherwise.

but what software uses 64bit processing from AMD
Games and video editing software.