I absolutely HATE AT&T!!!

The VCR King

I pay for 15mbps service but it sucks. For real. I am trying to upload gaming videos (10 minutes each because I use Bandicam) and the files are no larger than 2GB a piece, but when I try to upload one to YouTube, all of my upload bandwidth is used and my connection will literally be unusable, even my WiFi. When I try to upload anything I'll get 404 type errors and crap if I try to do anything. Uploading uses my whole connection.

I.
Hate.
AT&T.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
If more bandwidth isn't available from your ISP what I found when I ran on a connection like this is that if I capped my upload at about 80 - 90% of max, my connection would stay a lot more stable. I accomplished this by limiting the outgoing speed on the WAN link in my firewall. At the time I ran PFSense which is a free, open source firewall solution.

Geoff

VIP Member
The problem is between your modem and the ISP. When you saturate the upload, the download drastically drops. It's not specific to AT&T. You'd need to upgrade your internet service, or best case use a fiber service if available.

You may have 15Mbps through AT&T, but that's download. You probably have 1-2Mbps upload.

The VCR King

The problem is between your modem and the ISP. When you saturate the upload, the download drastically drops. It's not specific to AT&T. You'd need to upgrade your internet service, or best case use a fiber service if available.

You may have 15Mbps through AT&T, but that's download. You probably have 1-2Mbps upload.
15MBPS is the highest package available to my area because the ISP junction box is a few miles away from my house, and my upload is only like .5-1 mbps.

Could I try tethering my phone to my PC and using cell data along with AT&T or can I only use one network at a time?

Geoff

VIP Member
15MBPS is the highest package available to my area because the ISP junction box is a few miles away from my house, and my upload is only like .5-1 mbps.

Could I try tethering my phone to my PC and using cell data along with AT&T or can I only use one network at a time?
Yes you can use both, or use one of the other. The former requires some special load balancing however. Do you have unlimited data? If not, you will incur an expensive monthly cell bill.

The VCR King

Crap... I have 6GB monthly cap with Verizon. Is there a way to throttle/limit my upload bandwidth to like around .1MBPS just for my gaming PC? I'm currently uploading Fallout 4 gameplay video to my YouTube channel and I'm posting this from my phone on cell data because my WiFi is literally unusable.

beers

Staff member
What kind of a viewer base do you have?

I'd say it's a waste of time posting content that a near-zero sum of people will actually watch, but that's just me.

The VCR King

What kind of a viewer base do you have?

I'd say it's a waste of time posting content that a near-zero sum of people will actually watch, but that's just me.
I have about 500 or so subscribers and a lot of my friends in school watch my gaming videos. I actually upload a little bit of everything to my channel, from old TV shows like I Love Lucy and Jack Benny, some old time radio shows like Gunsmoke, weirder things like tornado sirens and I also do animal videos and car reviews. LOL!

Geoff

VIP Member
Crap... I have 6GB monthly cap with Verizon. Is there a way to throttle/limit my upload bandwidth to like around .1MBPS just for my gaming PC? I'm currently uploading Fallout 4 gameplay video to my YouTube channel and I'm posting this from my phone on cell data because my WiFi is literally unusable.
What difference would that make? If you want to upload a 2GB video, it doesn't matter if you upload it at 10Mbps upload or 0.1Mbps upload if you intend to upload the entire video.

Or a 4G card.
That doesn't really solve anything, as he can just tether his phone. The problem is he only has a 6GB per month plan.

The VCR King

I actually found a solution! I now use DVDVideoSoft's Free YouTube Uploader. I can upload my gaming videos from it, and there is a menu in the program where I can limit the upload speed to anything I want. Currently uploading two more videos and my internet is working awesome!