I am noob with setuping internet please help!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Its kinda my second router first one is setup and what i need to do is put cables in right places and it works but this one not...
So you're just looking to use this as a secondary router.

Set the IP address of the second router to something on the same network as the first router (aka primary is 192.168.1.1 make the second one 192.168.1.254)
Turn off DHCP on the second router
Plug a cable from a LAN port on the primary router into a LAN port on the second router.
Then it should work perfectly fine.

I have setuped my friends ethernet connection when i ran troubleshooter it said ip configuration was ok but dns server wont respond thats when i used opendns and it says same when i try google public dns?
If you need info i will upload

beers

Staff member
Probably more a symptom of the internet piece not working still, not DNS specifically.

You should be able to get a ping reply from 8.8.8.8, if not then the WAN side isn't working.

beers

Staff member
Why not just use DHCP?

At this point I'd just call your ISP and get a tech to help you

Mmm is there anothor way?

When i enable DHCP it says local area connection doesnt have valid ip configuration

Strange when i input google dlpublic dns it says not responding tbe troubleshooter but when i input opendns dns troubleshooter doesnt say anything

Bump.

Is there a program that would show me exact problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Long story short i putted opendns dns into configuration. Didnt work but when i ran troubleshooter didnt say anything few minutes passed it said Windows cant communicate with primary dns server
Why is this keep happening to me

beers

Staff member
I merged your plethora of threads together.

As stated before it's likely a whole-connection issue and not DNS specific.

Then how do you explain this:
I put my old router get cabkes coreclty bam internet works.
Take out ethernet cable from old router put it in directly to pc baaam internet doesnt work?

beers

Staff member
Section 4.5.2 of the manual.

Type your previous router's WAN MAC into the box, click save.