I am seeking recommendations for the purchase of a desktop scanner.

Michael Zwingli

Hello to all.
This is my first posting on this forum.

I want to purchase a fully OCR capable desktop scanner. It will be used for producing searchable PDF/text files. I have never owned or used a scanner before, so I am completely ignorant of which companies make scanners with the most accurate/reliable OCR capability, or of what products are the best-in-market. I know that Epson and Brother are the heavy hitters in this market, but I wonder if there are any other, smaller companies which produce comparable products. Does Xerox produce any competitive products? Has anyone of you used a Doxie scanner? How about Canon, Ambir, Fujitsu, HP scanners?

How will the way the scanner receives the original document effect the performance that I desire from the unit? Will a "feed through", "sheet feed", or a "lay flat" (as with a photocopy machine) scanner be optimal for what I want to achieve?

Also, is there any print material that you can direct me toward in researching this?

I want to buy a scanner that is best for producing searchable text files, rather than high quality photographic reproductions. Input from anyone who has experience with scanning, and especially with scanning documents, and more especially in ORCing physical documents, will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Mike