I became that guy today...

FuryRosewood

I just accidentally formatted a drive that I was using for storage. Anyone have any applications they can recommend for recovery? I am currently trying EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard on Trial to see what it digs up.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
<--- another fan of recuva, but let us know how EaseUS works out. heard of it, never used it.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You might be able to recover the entire partition. I use Active@ Recovery Partition for that. Well worth the money.

FuryRosewood

Ill try Active@ Recovery, i tried Recurva and it was unable to do anything.

Update - Active@ is having good results in preview...probably be paying for this one, sadly blew 80 on something that did not work well. :(

Last edited:

JaredDM

If you formatted it, then you didn't just erase the partition you also created a new file system over the old one. So programs like EaseUs won't help. For this type of sustained file system damage you should use R-Studio from R-TT (R-Studio Demo Here) to recover it. The program isn't free but it's generally the best as it analyzes things other software doesn't. Most software relies only on the MFT which is now partly overwritten. R-Studio is actually able to analyze other NTFS structures including the indexing stored near the middle of the partition that most other recovery software doesn't look at. Just be sure to scan to the end of the drive, or at least past the 60% mark so it reads all that indexing.

You also might try GetDataBack for NTFS (Demo Here) which is quite good, just not quite as good. The newer "Simple" version seems overly simplistic and doesn't include all features but if you buy it, it also includes the older original version license key.

These are both tools that even bonafide data recovery pros use in their business on occasion, despite owning the other overpriced software.