I bought a 2nd hand laptop and have to "recover" to get it to boot up

Horse

I hear ya, I got a few other options like writing something on his lawn in weedkiller to warn others! lol! Police are too busy policing young drivers in NZ to chase up theft.

Laquer Head

I hear ya, I got a few other options like writing something on his lawn in weedkiller to warn others! lol! Police are too busy policing young drivers in NZ to chase up theft.

My cousin lives in Christchurch, and other fam in Tauranga... they've told me funny NZ police stories

Horse

Sorry my tardiness had to go do a job, Yep, under resourced and overworked with a zero tolerance directive to police traffic at least 10hrs/week (25%) expected to average 4 tickets per hour - bloody revenue roads.

Laquer Head

Sorry my tardiness had to go do a job, Yep, under resourced and overworked with a zero tolerance directive to police traffic at least 10hrs/week (25%) expected to average 4 tickets per hour - bloody revenue roads.

Quota, Quota, Quota... they do same shit here..like bloody entrapment

Horse

Yeah, It's a pain for a while you could hardly meet a young person that didn't have about 20 grand worth of fines! All for not being able to afford new tyres or a warrant of fitness and then subsequent penalties. It was a pommies minister for police that bought it here ven though it hadn't worked to lower crimes further up the ladder in England, Canada and the USA years earlier. The idea is that if you have a zero tolerance ad full enforcement of traffic offences then crime will be slowed further up the chain. It doesn't work and severely oppresses young working class men. I hate the term "boy racers" as there really is no such thing. "Young showoffs" would be a better term and is not a new thing. The "Zero Tolerance" policy has a negative effect on emmigration, which is what I think is the real reason behind it. Anyway we're miles off topic here so Cheers! I'm still trying the reinstall on the lemon laptop on the link above from JohnB35. Thanks again everyone.

Laquer Head

Yeah, It's a pain for a while you could hardly meet a young person that didn't have about 20 grand worth of fines! All for not being able to afford new tyres or a warrant of fitness and then subsequent penalties. It was a pommies minister for police that bought it here ven though it hadn't worked to lower crimes further up the ladder in England, Canada and the USA years earlier. The idea is that if you have a zero tolerance ad full enforcement of traffic offences then crime will be slowed further up the chain. It doesn't work and severely oppresses young working class men. I hate the term "boy racers" as there really is no such thing. "Young showoffs" would be a better term and is not a new thing. The "Zero Tolerance" policy has a negative effect on emmigration, which is what I think is the real reason behind it. Anyway we're miles off topic here so Cheers! I'm still trying the reinstall on the lemon laptop on the link above from JohnB35. Thanks again everyone.
Cheers indeed!!

Horse

The activation code is a 25 digit key, 5 sets of 5 digits. it won't be listed in system properties. You'll have to use a key finder to pull it from the registry. You can use magic jelly bean keyfinder. But if its windows 10 and legally activated then all you'll have to do is download the ISO and burn the image to a dvd and install 10 that way. Don't enter a key when it asks for it, just skip it and it should auto activate when it gets to the desktop.

You go here to download the ISO file.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

System wiped and reinstalled, every thing working fine now, mostly, It restarts ok but if I completely shut it down it Jammed again so I Force turned it off but this time it didn't go into the diagnostic - just booted up normally. Deleted KMSpico and the Tweakbit updaters office is working fine too but some links on the start menu still are not. Thankyou very much once again if anyone needs any kind of flooring advice please contact me. Cheers!

Okedokey

How did you completely reinstall if that crapware is still on it? Download the ISO, put it on a USB with Rufus and reinstall from scratch removing any partitions first.

Horse

How did you completely reinstall if that crapware is still on it? Download the ISO, put it on a USB with Rufus and reinstall from scratch removing any partitions first.

I used the link from JohnB35 above and it reinstalled everything I dom't understand the ins and outs of it at all but now when I turn it on it freezes the first time so I force it to turn off abd then it starts ok the second time. I have no idea what it's doing. Which of the "crapware" should I delete? I'm a bit scared to get rid of anything now that it's kinda working. Took it to a mate's place to play some old bootleg music video dvd's on "crate day" (a NZ celebration of 1st w/e of summer) and it crashed and lost drivers again so I did a recovery to a point I saved just after I reinstalled much to the amusement of the boys. I am still using "Advanced Systemcare 10" and this has told me to delete toolbars/plugins most recently (just now) which I have done. They were mostly for onenote.
The 10bit resource monitor is still on the computer which I've been told is crap but not sure if I should remove it. Thanks for your interest. Cheers - Paul

Darren

Staff member
Pretty much any and all system/care/cleanup/optimize/tuneup/driver/sweeper/backup software is completely and utterly useless crap. Get rid of it all.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you have any software on it that was there before the reinstall then you didn't do a fresh install of windows.
Pretty much any and all system/care/cleanup/optimize/tuneup/driver/sweeper/backup software is completely and utterly useless crap. Get rid of it all.

Yes, please do.

Horse

If you have any software on it that was there before the reinstall then you didn't do a fresh install of windows.

Yes, please do.
Ok will do just gonna google Rufus now, Have a dvd rw will that do to copy ISO to?
Edit; hunting for a stick now hope one of the kids has one

Last edited:

Horse

Ok will do just gonna google Rufus now, Have a dvd rw will that do to copy ISO to?
Edit; hunting for a stick now hope one of the kids has one
I've got it on a stick, what now? restart with stick in or go into system tools and format it with stick in or without?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you created the usb using the microsoft tool, you don't need to use rufus. Insert your usb into the pc and select usb as your first boot device. Follow the prompts to install windows.

Horse

If you created the usb using the microsoft tool, you don't need to use rufus. Insert your usb into the pc and select usb as your first boot device. Follow the prompts to install windows.
I used rufus, have the stick out of the computer and have started a reset using the hardest options (delete files apps everything) which it says to use if recycling the computer. It now says "Resetting this PC 1%" I still have the stick out as I was worried it might wipe it! Before I started it said it may take several hours and a note said that I would not be able to return to earlier versions of Windows as it had been recently upgraded to win10. When do I put the memory stick back in? Sorry I'm such a techno-infant but my kids all give me varied advice so am really hoping this works this time. Cheers!

Horse

I used rufus, have the stick out of the computer and have started a reset using the hardest options (delete files apps everything) which it says to use if recycling the computer. It now says "Resetting this PC 1%" I still have the stick out as I was worried it might wipe it! Before I started it said it may take several hours and a note said that I would not be able to return to earlier versions of Windows as it had been recently upgraded to win10. When do I put the memory stick back in? Sorry I'm such a techno-infant but my kids all give me varied advice so am really hoping this works this time. Cheers!
I'm using my old computer at the mo, the other one is at 4% reset

beers

Staff member
Honestly, just delete the drive partition and fresh install. There's no reason to sit through a full restore when you can just install fresh.

Horse

Honestly, just delete the drive partition and fresh install. There's no reason to sit through a full restore when you can just install fresh.
I thought that is what I'm doing? It is at 62% now and I hope that when it finishes I can put the stick in with the ISO and it will install fresh? I do have a problem with the slightly different terminology refresh, restore, recover, reinstall etc, anyway I've done what it says above and think it's probablytoo far through to do anything different now, cheers!

beers

Staff member
I thought that is what I'm doing? It is at 62% now and I hope that when it finishes I can put the stick in with the ISO and it will install fresh? I do have a problem with the slightly different terminology refresh, restore, recover, reinstall etc, anyway I've done what it says above and think it's probablytoo far through to do anything different now, cheers!
Negative. If you run the installer and remove the partition it will dump the file table instantly and start installing.

Horse

Negative. If you run the installer and remove the partition it will dump the file table instantly and start installing.
It's nearly finished (94%) so what will it actually do? It wont reinstall all those apps and stuff tho will it? Now I'm wondering if I shoulda just left it as it was kinda working.