I cannot remove my dvd drive from my computer.

ironpony

My dvd drive stopped playing and burning dvds. So I am going to remove the drive to see if I can clean it to see if that will help, and if not then replace it. However, I am unable to remove the drive. I tried following this videos instructions:

At 2:14 into video he says to push and slide the drive out and it shows him do it. But when I try, the drive will not push or slide at all, and it's stuck in there like a rock, and I keep trying. Could I be doing something wrong?

Jamebonds1

Lens Cleaner doesn't always work. It only removes some dirty what it can. You can have something locked on the other side of the desktop. So, check both the right and left sides of the tower.

ironpony

Oh okay thanks. Actually it turns out there was a screw I missed and that was the case.

So I removed the DVD drive and cleaned. I then re-inserted it back into the tower. Didn't change anything though, and it's still not playing.

However, I have another problem now. The computer keeps freezing a lot now, when trying to use and causing me to have to restart to unfreeze it.

It seems that me removing the DVD drive and then putting it back, has caused this freezing problem now. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Last edited:

Jamebonds1

Oh okay thanks. Actually it turns out there was a screw I missed and that was the case.

So I removed the DVD drive and cleaned. I then re-inserted it back into the tower. Didn't change anything though, and it's still not playing.

However, I have another problem now. The computer keeps freezing a lot now, when trying to use and causing me to have to restart to unfreeze it.

It seems that me removing the DVD drive and then putting it back, has caused this freezing problem now. Any ideas on how to fix it?
Probably fault drive. I recommend buying a new drive. https://www.newegg.com/asus-model-drw-24b1st-blk-b-as-dvd-burner/p/N82E16827135204?&quicklink=true

I also need your system specs too.

ironpony

Oh okay, it's been hard cause I've been looking for the system specs but hard to find them since I moved way back. It's a custom built computer. So I am not aware of what the specs are per say.

strollin

Most new computers don't even come with DVD drives any more and they are quickly becoming as antiquated as a floppy drive . I have a DVD drive in my computer and very rarely use it.

ironpony

Oh okay thanks. Well the drive now is unable to have any power go through it at all, and I still have a disc inside. Is it possible to remove the disk without power?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, there should be a little tiny hole on the front of the bezel. Stick a something small in it and press hard and the tray will pop open. CD drives don't last forever, seen some last only a few short years.

ironpony

Okay thank you very much. That worked. I replaced the DVD drive and the new drive works perfectly now, no problems so far.

However, the computer is still freezing a lot, ever since I opened it up to take the old one. It froze six times in a day so far, and more times the next day. Is there anything I can do about this freezing problem? What happens is, the screen just goes to black and a weird electrical sounding sound, comes out the speakers, when it happens.

strollin

Maybe when you were fiddling with removing the DVD drive, you jostled some of the power cables for the motherboard. Check to see that all power cables are fully inserted.