I can't get rid of grub

I sold a SATA hard drive and I wanted it to be empty.

I have formatted it numerous times.

However everytime I boot, with another hard drive with windows 7, the grub takes priority onthe "empty" drive. I don't understand. I have even zeroed the disk, with disks, and Grub is still on the disk?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You sure you're not just formatting a zeroing an empty partition? Try running DBAN on the disk instead.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
If you boot with a windows cd, go to the recovery console and use the bootrec command.

i.e. bootrec /fixboot

I'm currently formatting it on Windows using Disk Management, somehow I have this feeling that it won't be any different.

I will try DBAN, thank you for the suggestion.

I don't have a windows CD.

I don't know why I insist on giving the buyer a "plug and play" type experience from buying my hard drive.

A 320GB SATA 3.0gb/s 7200rpm for $10.00 I would think this guy knows what he's doing... and can deal with a little "grub" hehehe

Anyway, now I have started "autonuke" I'm curious what would happen if I were to halt this process... would the hard drive be destroyed?

Oh my god, it says it has 3 hours left hahaha

And the guy is supposed to pick it up in 15 minutes... hmm

Well, all is well, the guy doesn't want it.

Curious to see the result of this autonuke after 4 hours and 15 minutes from now.

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

What happened? Did GRUB get wiped off the hard drive?

I have some free software that allows you to wipe a hard drive while the Windows operating system is running. (It is called "Zilla Data Nuker.") I can give it to you using a download link from Dropbox.com. I can even give you a tutorial on how to use it. Let me know if you are interested.

I guess it worked, now the computer boots with both hard drives plugged in.

The linux os that was on the other hard drive (the one I was trying to completely wipe) was not permitting the windows os to boot up.

But now it's fine.

Thank you for everyone's help.