I cant install an operating system on my new build...

Lomboro

Hi

For some odd reason i am not able to get an operating system running on my new build. When i try to install windows from an USB stick, the windows logo pops up and than it hangs. When i try to boot up linux, i just get a black screen. My build is:

* Ryzen 1500x
* MSI A320m bazooka
* 500W coolermaster PSU
* MSI GTX 1060
* 2x4GB cruscial balistix sport RAM

I scavanged the harddrives from other PC's.

The computer runs fine, i can go into the bios without problems. But as soon as external software is ran it hangs. My first guess was that the windows partitions that were already on those disks was causing trouble, but i formatted the disks and the problem kept repeating. I cleared the cmos, made another windows usb, changed harddrives. Nothing helps. Even ubuntu doesnt want to boot...

I am absolutely clueless. I do think its not a hardware problem, if it were, the computer wouldn't even boot up right? Anyone got an idea about what might be going wrong here?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What bios revision is installed? May be a memory compatibility issue, there has been 4 updates since original release.

beers

Staff member
Did you select the XMP profile? What speed of RAM is it? Did you update to the latest BIOS as per John? The new BIOS versions come with some large AGESA memory compatibility code that helps a lot.

Lomboro

Ill try updating the bios. The memory definitely is compatible, unless the website gave wrong specifications xD

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just because it matches memory specifications for the motherboard, doesn't mean it will work.

Lomboro

I fixed it. I dont know what did it , but it works xD. I updated the bios to the latest version, and I set the ram frequency from "auto" to "2400". Any ideas on what might have gone wrong? And shoudl i change the RAM frequency back to auto?

_Kyle_

I fixed it. I dont know what did it , but it works xD. I updated the bios to the latest version, and I set the ram frequency from "auto" to "2400". Any ideas on what might have gone wrong? And shoudl i change the RAM frequency back to auto?
Glad to hear you solved it. I would leave the settings as they are now, 2400 is a good speed.

Lomboro

Yeah, i guess its better to leave it as is :p Thanks everyone for helping! I am however still very confused about what caused the issue :(

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You never did say what speed your ram was. If its 2400 then leave it. Ram should run at its rated speed.

beers

Staff member
Use the xmp or docp profile and it will set everything for you. The latest bios probably helped a lot.