I can't run System File Checker in Win 10

johnnyb58

When I execute "SFC /scannow" from Command Prompt or Powershell, I’m denied because it says “You must be an admin running a console session in order to use the sfc utility.” But I am the administrator.

What the heck is going on?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
In the search box, type cmd, then in the program list right click it and click on run as admin. Then you can run whatever you want. Most things you do in command prompt these days require them to run as admin.

johnnyb58

Thanks John, well I don’t have a search box for one and I don’t even know what it’s supposed to look like.

I did manage to get to the CMD Prompt through the start menus Windows Powershell, but “right click" only pastes whatever was the last thing copied.

I even tried to type "run as admin" and it says “run” is not a recognized command. So something is missing.

This has all started because my print spooler is not working properly and HP suggests running "SFC /scannow". They gave the same instructions as you have, but it doesn’t work.

This is the Link for HP http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02205477

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You're starting powershell and CMD in normal user mode. You need to run it elevated as Administrator.

Click Start
Type CMD
When you see Command Prompt appear in the list, right click Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator"

Then you will be able to execute system file checker.

johnnyb58

You're starting powershell and CMD in normal user mode. You need to run it elevated as Administrator.

Click Start
Type CMD
When you see Command Prompt appear in the list, right click Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator"

Then you will be able to execute system file checker.
There isn't any place to type CMD

System Restore?
I've been have this printer problem for a long time, maybe a year or more so I'm not sure if there is a restore point before all this started. I will take another look.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is the print spooler service set to automatic? You would also have to have http service running as well as RPC, since the print spooler depends on these to work. I can remember years ago that there were infections that would screw with the rpc service so check into that.

johnnyb58

Is the print spooler service set to automatic? You would also have to have http service running as well as RPC, since the print spooler depends on these to work. I can remember years ago that there were infections that would screw with the rpc service so check into that.
Yes it is. I've had this problem for a long time and I posted about it a while back.
I've done almost everything that HP said to do even reinstalling the HP software dozens of times. I can't remember if I had the exact same problem before upgrading to Win 10, but I did have some problems at that time.
Right now my daughter has to print her school homework and she does it from her own windows account on the same computer. It's driving me crazy be cause she want to buy a new printer and I just bought this one a few years ago.
I don't mind deleting the spooler files, but I don't like rebooting each time.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So its just your user account that is screwed up? If so, just create a new account and transfer data over.

aldan

did you get it sorted?if not just right click on your start menu,and click on startmenu admin.