i cant take it anymore. windows 7 cant connect to internet

TurkeySniper

so i moved into school last monday and i have been searching for ways to fix my problem ever since but everything i try just isnt working. my connection says unidentified network no internet access constantly and cannot get around it. i just wanna play starcraft plz help...i have tried old drivers and the up to date ones i have uninstalled network adapter than re installed. i tried some other things but i am too stressed with this and need help. also says "cant connect to default gateway" when i troubleshoot the connection...thanks for your time.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure obtain IP address and DNS servers are set to automatic. Is this a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, delete all your existing wireless connections and reset it back up.

this is why you dont live on campus, lol residence sucks, i would never ever ever in my life live at school, but on topic, i have had ythat problem once before but it just kind of fixed itself so i have no clue

claptonman

Does your school have any sort of helpdesk or a tech support? I know my school does, and they've helped me with my wireless problems.

TurkeySniper

lol yea i have made a visit to the help desk but the connection is wired. but since my wireless works well i think i am just going to get a wireless adapter and connect my desktop to the internet that way

wellhellothere

Couple of things to check.

When you are 'connected' to the network, try a ping test

Press the Windows Key + R, in the Run box type cmd
Press Enter
In the black DOS box, type: ping google.com

You may get 4 responses back, you may not. If you do, it means that your computer can 'get out' to the internet, which is good. If you don't, it means there is no connectivity at all.

The next thing to do;

Get the Run box up again (Windows key + R) and type in: ncpa.cpl

Now, look for your Local Area Connection, and double click on it.
Click on Propeties
Click on Internet Protocol Version 4
Make sure both the top and bottom options are both set to '....automatically'

Next, open up your Run box and type cmd again. This time, type in: ipconfig /all

and post the results on here (copy and paste the whole lot - to copy, right click and select 'mark' then drag over all the text and hit enter, then paste into here)

(mods: anychance this could get moved to Networking?)

Last edited: