I can't work out what type of card I have or what drivers it needs.

dfgh

I have a card plugged in to my motherboard which allows you to attach two IDE cables. It supports raid, in fact I think that is its primary purpose, but that isn't what I want to use it for. The problem is that I can't work out what brand of card it is, and thus what driver it requires, and furthermore I cannot find the CD that came with it. Is there any way to find these things out? It does not say a brand on the card, but it is of chipset 'Atmel'. If anyone can help that would be great!

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Does XP not autodetect what kind of controller you have through the add new hardware 'wizard'?

Starman*

You could browse through Device Manager to see if it is listed there. If you find something, right-click then Properties

Starman*

dfgh

Windows can't identify the device at all... other than as a RAID Controller. No other information is provided. By the way, I am using win2k.

Starman*

Going back to your first post you mentioned you did not know what the device was but thought it was to do with RAID "but that isn't what I want to use it for".

I don't understand what the problem is. If it's something you don't use, why would you care if it's there? If the device was intended for RAID, how could you have another proposed use for it? How do you know it needs drivers? Did you look in your motherboard manual?

Starman*

LaptopExtreme

VIP Member
Are the HD and Optical currently hooked up to it? It may be that it's an IDE speed upgrade from older 33 or 66 speed to 100/133. It could be raid also, another reason could be that the built on IDE's went bad.

celsdogg

take a pic of the card and post it here. maybe if we see the card we will be able to help. especially make sure that we can see the writing on the cards chipset. . .

dfgh

Just to clarify, I have had it working before just as a way of connecting dvd/hdd drives without using it as raid... that's why I need it; I have way too many harddrives!
Laptop Extreme said, "Are the HD and Optical currently hooked up to it? It may be that it's an IDE speed upgrade from older 33 or 66 speed to 100/133. It could be raid also, another reason could be that the built on IDE's went bad."
Sorry, I don't understand. You could you rephrase?

I will try to get a picture of it as soon as possible. Thanks for the help so far guys.

StrangleHold

Staff member
dfgh said:
Just to clarify, I have had it working before just as a way of connecting dvd/hdd drives without using it as raid... that's why I need it; I have way too many harddrives!
Laptop Extreme said, "Are the HD and Optical currently hooked up to it? It may be that it's an IDE speed upgrade from older 33 or 66 speed to 100/133. It could be raid also, another reason could be that the built on IDE's went bad."
Sorry, I don't understand. You could you rephrase?

I will try to get a picture of it as soon as possible. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Older motherboards had slower speed IDE ports, as faster drives came out you could get a pci card with IDE and raid Ports that were faster than what was on the motherboard- meaning upgrade. Plus you could use a pci card if one of your IDE ports went bad.

dfgh

Well I don't have a picture, seeing as I have been unable to borrow a digital camera... but, I've managed to use AIDA32 to identify it.

It is a Silicon Image Sil 0680 Ultra-ATA/133 Medley RAID Controller

For some reason though, I am still unable to find a driver for it! Could someone direct me to the relevant url? Thanks a million guys, it will be a relief when I finally get this working!