I changed my computer network settings

My computer was hooked to the network at work. I unhooked from the network I sign in like normal and it works. I go into the settings in the control panel and change the computer from being on a business network to a home computer. I restart it think I can just sign in no problem but when it restarts its asking for admin password which is a problem because I don't know it. How can I go back and change it back?

Thanks in advance for any help is appreciated.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
It sounds like you unjoined it from the domain. When you do that, it pops up and says "You must log in with the local machine account after unjoining the domain" which I assume you failed to read.

You need to contact your place of business and see if they'll let you in. Otherwise you need to wipe and reinstall Windows.

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I was hoping I could go through one of the startup screens and be able to set it back. I don't want to lose the programs I have on the computer so I don't want to wipe it. I appreciate the help.

Geoff

VIP Member
When you are joined to a corporate network, typically you are connecting to an Active Directory domain, where you login using your AD credentials. Once you remove yourself from the domain, you can only login using a local account, and seeing that it's a work computer the IT department likely are the only ones that know the local admin password. You'd have to bring it back to work and have the IT department connect it to your domain again.