I changed to an i7 7700k. Now check it out.

A-Ryan

So I made a black/white gaming pc. I was thinking that it would be better to change to an i7 7700k since SO many people said that the i5 7600k was dumb to get, now that Ryzen has came out and it pretty much destroys it. Since I don't know anything about Ryzen and I don't want to go through the hassle of redoing everything to have it fit with Ryzen, I just thought of getting an i7 7700k. Now tell me, was this a good choice? I really want to record/stream, voice call, and game without any problems and since the i7 is meant for that stuff then it should be good to get. Please everyone who sees the post, please rate it out of 10, tell me if it was a good choice, tell me if you like the build and suggest me things to do. Thanks

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jnZHLD

beers

Staff member
Gaming performance should be similar if not slightly better. Video encoding while slower than Ryzen should offer acceptable performance.

A-Ryan

Gaming performance should be similar if not slightly better. Video encoding while slower than Ryzen should offer acceptable performance.
I mean I'm not really getting it for the editing and that stuff... Its mostly that I can make sure that I have a good CPU for a few years, I want to make sure that I can multitask with no problems, game with no problems, and just have a nice CPU. So tell me, do you like the build? What would you rate it out of 10?

A-Ryan

I can do everything with a 4th gen i5... I'm sure a 6th or 7th gen i7 is going to be overkill for you.
technically it would be future proofing.... many people have said that the new i7 would be more than enough until something like 2020. If I can use the same CPU with the same amazing performance for more than 3 years, I would probably keep it...

Laquer Head

technically it would be future proofing.... many people have said that the new i7 would be more than enough until something like 2020. If I can use the same CPU with the same amazing performance for more than 3 years, I would probably keep it...
No such thing as future-proofing when it comes to PC components - You can totally stretch a CPU for a long time, but it all depends on your definition of amazing performance, both now and in the future. But by 2020 so much shit will have changed that you will likely want to upgrade.

IMO, that would be pretty dumb... seeing how NVidia is making all of these newer cards and how there are already cards better than the 1080, it would be better to just save up right now and get a much better card later on.

1080 is a dope card, crushes everything I throw at it - and I play most games in 4K with it.. 60fps..etc etc.. It's still relevant and priced well on deal. Also, when it comes to GPU - you can save and every 6 months be saving again for the next best thing.. buy whatever you can afford and be done with it.

A-Ryan

No such thing as future-proofing when it comes to PC components - You can totally stretch a CPU for a long time, but it all depends on your definition of amazing performance, both now and in the future. But by 2020 so much shit will have changed that you will likely want to upgrade.

1080 is a dope card, crushes everything I throw at it - and I play most games in 4K with it.. 60fps..etc etc.. It's still relevant and priced well on deal. Also, when it comes to GPU - you can save and every 6 months be saving again for the next best thing.. buy whatever you can afford and be done with it.

I understand, but right now I'm not trying to destroy my bank. Right now for 1080p 144hz the 1070 is MORE than enough, no need for me to get a 1080 right now... The i7 can handle almost everything I would ever need to throw at it. Right now I'm just trying to get something that I could stretch like Laquer said, and still have good performance on games, multitasking, pretty much all the stuff the i7 should do amazingly now.

Laquer Head

For me, an overclocked, un-hyperthreaded 4th gen i5 is crushing all my games and leaves me no real reason to upgrade.

I really think the i5 k's are a great offering... i7 is great but not necessary for alot of people. I'm like 3 years into my i5 and, as I say, its still crushing everything that I do.

Intel_man

VIP Member
IMO, that would be pretty dumb... seeing how NVidia is making all of these newer cards and how there are already cards better than the 1080, it would be better to just save up right now and get a much better card later on.
That's a pretty dumb statement to make. I was merely pointing out that you chose to purchase one of the most expensive 1070's out there and for not so much more, could be rocking a 1080.

A-Ryan

That's a pretty dumb statement to make. I was merely pointing out that you chose to purchase one of the most expensive 1070's out there and for not so much more, could be rocking a 1080.
Yea I got that... I was just explaining that I don't really need to rock a 1080 seeing how that would be way too much for 1080p 144hz gaming.

Wouldn't that have been a better question prior to buying? :p
I didn't buy anything yet... I was just saying was that a good choice to put in the build...

For me, an overclocked, un-hyperthreaded 4th gen i5 is crushing all my games and leaves me no real reason to upgrade.

I really think the i5 k's are a great offering... i7 is great but not necessary for alot of people. I'm like 3 years into my i5 and, as I say, its still crushing everything that I do.
yea but everyone else has different needs... like you said, they arent necessary for a lot of people but I just want to make sure that my CPU is good for a ton of things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Intel_man

VIP Member
Yea I got that... I was just explaining that I don't really need to rock a 1080 seeing how that would be way too much for 1080p 144hz gaming.
way too much performance eh?... said no one ever.

When you're spending GTX1080 money on a 1070, why aren't you getting a 1080 instead?