i found 2 laptops that i like, which one would you suggest?

DMGrier

VIP Member
I have not looked at either one of them but just from what people say on this forum and from what I have read Toshiba all the way due to Acer low build quality.

Krazyshank

I have not looked at either one of them but just from what people say on this forum and from what I have read Toshiba all the way due to Acer low build quality.

In his case, the acer is better but I have an acer and it's the worst laptop I have ever owned, cheap build And hardware problems everywhere!

To the TS, look for another laptop, acer sucks and the satellite doesn't even have dedicated graphics.

NyxCharon

Eh, i have a acer and i love it. No problems. To each there own though.
Runs all the games i have fine. Mine has the same card as the one linked, GT540M and a i5.

wolfeking

banned
Eh, i have a acer and i love it. No problems. To each there own though.
Runs all the games i have fine. Mine has the same card as the one linked, GT540M and a i5.
I love my acer. Minus the fact that for the rest of the month its VGA bound.

In his case, the acer is better but I have an acer and it's the worst laptop I have ever owned, cheap build And hardware problems everywhere!

To the TS, look for another laptop, acer sucks and the satellite doesn't even have dedicated graphics.
Neither of them have a dedicated card. Acer's GT540m is soldered to the motherboard.

they dont really have low build quality, they are good build quality on some crappy parts.

wolfeking

banned
bull. You have build quality in anything built. Doesnt matter if it comes off the assembly line or not. Transmissions come from an assembly line, and that doesnt mean the TH400/C6 isnt better quality than the TH700R4/E4OD. The same goes to toshiba and Acer. They both have good assembly, just Acer used piss poor parts, causing a bad overall product.

Stairsnpairs

Interesting. Each brand seems to use some of the same name brand parts. I'm at a loss of how an Acer uses "worse" parts than Toshiba. Each brand uses name brand processors, chipsets, graphics, etc. What parts on a Toshiba make it inferior to an Acer? They both use off-brand motherboards, so I wouldn't trust either one of them, if we're going by your theory.

There's a difference between a transmission and a laptop. Know what it is? Ford, Chevy, Nissan, etc. build their own transmissions. Laptop manufacturers such as Acer and Toshiba don't build their own processors, hard drives, motherboards, USB ports, etc. They assemble them. On an assembly line. From parts shipped from other companies, such as Intel, AMD, nVidia, etc. Your comparison doesn't make sense, unless I'm missing something crucial here. Intel or AMD doesn't make "piss poor" processors that they ship to Acer, and "excellent" processors that they ship to Toshiba, right?

In fact, my Nissan 200SX was produced by Nissan, however, it has Mitsubishi core engine parts in it. Old and new Dodge Avengers have primarily Mitsubishi parts in them, for example. Oh, and I never stated assembly lines cause bad products.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
Interesting. Each brand seems to use some of the same name brand parts. I'm at a loss of how an Acer uses "worse" parts than Toshiba. Each brand uses name brand processors, chipsets, graphics, etc. What parts on a Toshiba make it inferior to an Acer? They both use off-brand motherboards, so I wouldn't trust either one of them, if we're going by your theory.
Build quality is about design and assembly. Not what brand parts go into it. If a total idiot tries to build a computer with massive static in him,its going to be bad build quality weather its a K6-2 or a 2500K, Geforce 16Mb or HD6990.
There's a difference between a transmission and a laptop. Know what it is? Ford, Chevy, Nissan, etc. build their own transmissions.
In fact, my Nissan 200SX was produced by Nissan, however, it has Mitsubishi core engine parts in it. Old and new Dodge Avengers have primarily Mitsubishi parts in them, for example.
you have just shown how little you actually understand what yor trying to argue. Ford discontinued their in house transmission shop in 1993. Chevrolet transmissions have been manufactured at independent shops since they discontinued the Turboglide in the late 50's. Dodge never had an in house transmisson shop. Bendix (NV3400 for chevy and dodge, NV3300 for chevy and dodge, NV4400 for dodge, NV4500 for chevy and dodge (grandads 98 3500 cummins has this trans), and NV5600 for dodge and chevy) Borg-Warner (they made the t-19, 3.03, 4.04, and E4OD ford transmissions, as well as the th350, th400, th700R4, t18, t19, and 4.04 for Chevy), Eaton-Fuller (found a home in a lot of the light duty manual trans trucks of the late 80s. Also maker of the Dodge contracted 727 3speed automatic, and all dodge 4, 5 and 6 speed autos). Rockwell should also be noted as the maker of all C6HD automatics found in ford trucks between 1978 and 1993.

Basically man, your talking out your ass.

Stairsnpairs

Build quality is about design and assembly. Not what brand parts go into it. If a total idiot tries to build a computer with massive static in him,its going to be bad build quality weather its a K6-2 or a 2500K, Geforce 16Mb or HD6990.

How is build quality not about what parts go into it? You're saying Acer hires static filled employees to build computers, and that Toshiba doesn't? Basically my question is, have you personally ever been to an Acer or Toshiba factory, and seen that Acer conditions, assembly, and builds are "piss poor" compared to Toshiba. Though you may have me on the transmission ordeal (even though it was a ridiculous analogy in the beginning) I don't think your bashing of Acer is warranted, and I think people like yourself slander companies without true merit.

you have just shown how little you actually understand what yor trying to argue. Ford discontinued their in house transmission shop in 1993. Chevrolet transmissions have been manufactured at independent shops since they discontinued the Turboglide in the late 50's. Dodge never had an in house transmisson shop. Bendix (NV3400 for chevy and dodge, NV3300 for chevy and dodge, NV4400 for dodge, NV4500 for chevy and dodge (grandads 98 3500 cummins has this trans), and NV5600 for dodge and chevy) Borg-Warner (they made the t-19, 3.03, 4.04, and E4OD ford transmissions, as well as the th350, th400, th700R4, t18, t19, and 4.04 for Chevy), Eaton-Fuller (found a home in a lot of the light duty manual trans trucks of the late 80s. Also maker of the Dodge contracted 727 3speed automatic, and all dodge 4, 5 and 6 speed autos). Rockwell should also be noted as the maker of all C6HD automatics found in ford trucks between 1978 and 1993.

Basically man, your talking out your ass.

Basically man, how long did it take you to create that huge mass of text from Google?
And Nissan? And Honda? And Toyota? And Saab? There are no other car companies that build their own transmissions? Even if they don't build their transmissions, surely they design them, no?

And vehicle transmissions are built faulty quite often.

I'm sorry, I must have missed this earlier:

First you state:
they (Acer) dont really have low build quality, they are good build quality on some crappy parts.

Then, you just told me:
Build quality is about design and assembly. Not what brand parts go into it. If a total idiot tries to build a computer with massive static in him,its going to be bad build quality weather

Dude, brotha, dawg; those two statements contradict what you are trying to press upon me. And, well, they just don't make sense.

So Acer doesn't really have bad build quality, they are just built on crappy parts, even though build quality is about design and assembly? I'm, uh, wait, what? I think I see what you're trying to achieve, but you should probably clarify better, even though what you're achieving to clarify makes ZERO sense.

In fact, HP had some issues a few years ago with some laptops; the nVidia M graphics chips were faulty, causing overheating, resulting in no video, etc. Everyone stated it was HP's fault, however, it was nVidia. They built the chip, HP just assembled it, correct? HP payed nicely for nVidia's mistake, but it happens. Not the assembler's fault, though. So brand name parts that go into a computer by Acer or Toshiba can affect build quality, I would think.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
How is build quality not about what parts go into it? You're saying Acer hires static filled employees to build computers, and that Toshiba doesn't? Basically my question is, have you personally ever been to an Acer or Toshiba factory, and seen that Acer conditions, assembly, and builds are "piss poor" compared to Toshiba. Though you may have me on the transmission ordeal (even though it was a ridiculous analogy in the beginning) I don't think your bashing of Acer is warranted, and I think people like yourself slander companies without true merit.
YOu dont have to go to a factory to see build quality. Just pick up one of their computers, take it apart. See if all the screw taps are filled (which the three I have taken apart only have 16 screws and 32 tapped holes for screws.) Thats bad build quality. When they can't even follow their own design.

Basically man, how long did it take you to create that huge mass of text from Google?
And Nissan? And Honda? And Toyota? And Saab? There are no other car companies that build their own transmissions? Even if they don't build their transmissions, surely they design them, no?

And vehicle transmissions are built faulty quite often.
no time. I dont google things I know. And for your fact, 16% of transmission failures are connected to design or build failures. Most failures are from user neglect, or other mechanical failure (I.E. clutch failing, over heating, over redlining it). I would hardly say that 16% is enough to say that they are built badly "quite often".

I'm sorry, I must have missed this earlier:

First you state:

Then, you just told me:

Dude, brotha, dawg; those two statements contradict what you are trying to press upon me. And, well, they just don't make sense.

So Acer doesn't really have bad build quality, they are just built on crappy parts, even though build quality is about design and assembly? I'm, uh, wait, what? I think I see what you're trying to achieve, but you should probably clarify better, even though what you're achieving to clarify makes ZERO sense.
Yes, they are built on crappy parts, by a bad team. For example, They use Toshiba hard drives (prone to failure), an off brand WLAN card that I havent seen last longer than 2 weeks using a at speed connection (54 MB/s). The heyboard will not reattach to the moytherboard and function, the LED is crap quality too. It generally has discoloration in the pixles (can be corrected via microsoft/Gnome settings, and My Dell VGA shows how far it was off to get realistic colours again).

Acer is a bad company. What your trying to do here is change our viewpoint, but there are plenty of threads around that show the #s behind this. Just search for them. The only company worse than Acer is HP. deal with it.