i hate my new DVD burner

mitch1985

i bought a DVD burner the other day for about 50 quid. its a pioneer DVR-108. i also bought some blank DVD=R discs. now ive downloaded tonnes of software as this is also complicated. what i am trying to do is copy a DVD movie to try it out, but in the last few days ive had no sucess. ive managed to copy the files to my hard drive. now i want to put them on a DVD. im tryin to use cloner DVD but that ust seems to not work. and neither do any other softwares. this is the worse thing ive ever spent my money on. i cant even put noraml files to a dvd. i click on my computer the blank DVD comes up as an audio disc, which says its capacity is 2 gig, and that is all full. what shit is this. this is way to complicated for me and i dont have a clue. does anyone know of this and any good software they could reccommend as im willin to give my DVD rewriter a chance before throwing it away. cause that what it deserves.

[tab]

[...]
You should throw it away... better yet give it to me and I'll get rid of it for you.

For what it's worth most people report success with Nero for burning data DVDs, and DVD Decryptor/DVD Shrink for copying video DVDs.

mitch1985

im using dvd decrypter to copy the files to hard rive. and im now tryin dvd fab. it seems to be workin. but it takes so bloody long. ill let you know how its gone.

the media im using are DVD+R traxdata. is this shit. i dont have a clue about dvd burners, but i guess ill learn. anyone could reccomend mee some good media thanks.

computerdude2004

Make sure that your DVD's and DVD drive layer's match. Make sure that you aren't trying to burn to DVD + R's and your dvd drive is a DVD - RW drive, or the opposite way around. Also, make sure that your computer meets the spec.'s for the DVD drive.

The drive seems slow because you can't burn information to a DVD as fast as you can burn information to a CD.

aqsg72

<b>VIP Member</b>
Make sure that you aren't trying to burn to DVD + R's and your dvd drive is a DVD - RW drive, or the opposite way around.

Well the 108 is a +/- drive, and burns dual layer as well as single.

i hate my new DVD burner

In fairness it's not really your DVD burner's fault.

There are good guides for DVD->DVD-R over at http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/ and http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvdbackup-guides.htm, and like [tab] said the most successful way is using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink.

Just give it a little more time, read some guides, it helps you familiarise yourself with the processes.

mitch1985

thanks for your responces. i think ive learned what the +/- bit mean and so on. i managed to backup a movie today succesfully, i burned troy to DVD, 2 DVDs infact as i didnt have enough room on one. it takes a while thought doesnt it. i used DVD decrypter and dvdfab. which i found quite good. i think i can use dvd fab as an all in one program so i will try another movie tmoz. thanks for your responces. and im also gonna get nero for data cds as i need to put all my shit on a dvd and not several cd's.

aqsg72

<b>VIP Member</b>
No problem, but btw you don't have to split a DVD to 2DVDRs, I've not tried dvdfab but in DVD Shrink you can choose a level of compression to apply to the video which does downgrade the quality but its worthwhile to avoid multiple discs IMHO.

mitch1985

yes. todday i did aliens. i used dvd decrypter, then to compress it so i could put it on one disc i used dvd2one, then put it on dvd, took about 3 1/2 hours. how come when you decrypt it it only does it at no more than 2.5 speed. even though my dvd reader is 16x.

aqsg72

<b>VIP Member</b>
It's probably locked at that speed for reducing and minimising number of errors on the reading of an encrypted DVD. You could probably unlock the speed with a firmware patch.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
yes. todday I did aliens. I used dvd decrypter, then to compress it so I could put it on one disc I used dvd2one, then put it on dvd, took about 3 1/2 hours. how come when you decrypt it it only does it at no more than 2.5 speed. even though my dvd reader is 16x.
1. If by "dvd reader" you meant "dvd burning being used to read" then that speed is perfectly normal (unless you have a hacked firmware)

2. check your DMA/PIO settings

3. Also check ASPI