i have a blank cd, how can i add things back on it

shweeny666

is there anyway to add things back to a Cd-R,

any material on the internet or software

why is it impossible

surely someone can hack into the cd to make this possible

jimmymac

VIP Member
nope its not possible with CD-R, the disk is "closed off" once its finished and cant be edited in any way.

m3incorp

You can burn another CD-R of the one you are wanting to add to, and then add the new content before finalizing the CD. Otherwise, no can do. Just the nature of R vs RW.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
jimmymac said:
nope its not possible with CD-R, the disk is "closed off" once its finished and cant be edited in any way.
the actual term is "finalized", once a disc is finalized the burning software writes the "lead-out" onto the disc after the data you just added. Nothing can be added after this point.... its physically impossible. CD-R discs are once use only, you burn to it and then you either throw it out or you archive it or use it. You cant add more stuff to it, thats what they invented CD-RW discs for. These act as huge floppy discs (theoretically) and can be written to and deleted from many many times (not infinite though).... If you used a CD-R disc then nothing more can be written. There is also no way to "hack" a CD, lol, its not gonna happen, and anyway, for the price of a CD, like 15p, why are you worrying so much, just make a new CD which includes the thing you left out...

dragon

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
dragon2309 said:
the actual term is "finalized", once a disc is finalized the burning software writes the "lead-out" onto the disc after the data you just added. Nothing can be added after this point.... its physically impossible. CD-R discs are once use only, you burn to it and then you either throw it out or you archive it or use it. You cant add more stuff to it, thats what they invented CD-RW discs for. These act as huge floppy discs (theoretically) and can be written to and deleted from many many times (not infinite though).... If you used a CD-R disc then nothing more can be written. There is also no way to "hack" a CD, lol, its not gonna happen, and anyway, for the price of a CD, like 15p, why are you worrying so much, just make a new CD which includes the thing you left out...

dragon
Thats not entirely true. If the CD was burned as a multisession, then content can be added later on. But if it was finalized then you're right, its impossible.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
elmarcorulz said:
Thats not entirely true. If the CD was burned as a multisession, then content can be added later on. But if it was finalized then you're right, its impossible.
well, yeh, hence why i said right at the beginning "IF IT WAS FINALIZED"

kobaj

VIP Member
elmarcorulz said:

I thought only RW's could be multisessioned.

dark_legacy2006

wow theres alot of responses with all the same answer.....
you can write as many times as you want to a rewritable disc. All you have to do is erase the contents and its branw new again

Rambo

dark_legacy2006 said:
wow theres alot of responses with all the same answer.....
you can write as many times as you want to a rewritable disc. All you have to do is erase the contents and its branw new again

Well, sooner or later the disc isn't gonna let you delete and rewrite back onto it. The RW's usually have a life span being erased and rewritten 1000 times (atleast, that's what it says on my Panasonic CD-RW's...)

Geoff

VIP Member
shweeny666 said:
how many times can i write to cd-rw
It depends on the manufacturer or the disc, the age of the disc, and the speed that it's written/read to. Giving the variables, they can be re-written anywhere from around 100-1000 times.

liquidmetal

Isn't it true that once you finish writing to a rewritable DVD/CD, if you forget to add something, you can't just add it in. You need to overwrite everything that is there. Even so, when burning songs from Windows Media Player, it wouldn't work unless I used Nero to erase the CD first.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
liquidmetal said:
Isn't it true that once you finish writing to a rewritable DVD/CD, if you forget to add something, you can't just add it in. You need to overwrite everything that is there. Even so, when burning songs from Windows Media Player, it wouldn't work unless I used Nero to erase the CD first.
You can't multsession audio cd's, only data. You can "just add it in" if the cd/dv was created with a multi-session.

liquidmetal

elmarcorulz said:
You can't multsession audio cd's, only data. You can "just add it in" if the cd/dv was created with a multi-session.

Oh yes, so thats what that option means.
What do you want me to say instead of "just add it in"... rewrite the data on the storage device? :D

krimson_king

well, if you were making some kind of boot disc, or a music cd, for example...then no. if youre just writing things like pictures or word documents, or even something like zipped files, then you can keep writing them to it until its full.