I have a problem with my MP3 player

Cplesondohlp

Well i have a 10GB MP3 player made by Classic and its called XP3. Anyways i have been having major problems with it and i am wondering if before throwing it away i can some how force a format on its hard drive. As i have tried many times to format the MP3 by right clicking on it in My Computer and clicking on format and proceeding with start and so on. when a pop up says Windows was unable to Format Hard drive. So i then went into command promt and after typing format D:/, it comes back and says that the format is raw and somthing about using FS/ i dont know what that is. If anyone can help at it would be great :)

Cplesondohlp

Well the only thing is i cant use the thing what so ever and i have tried downlaoding the new firmware however i could not open it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
it comes back and says that the format is raw and somthing about using FS/ I dont know what that is.
Would be great if you could get the complete error message but it sounds like the partition table on teh disc/drive is toasted and you'll need to make a new one... whether you can or not... i dunno i dont have an mp3 player

As for the firmware update, you need to run the firmware update program available from the manufacturuer (of course when i tried, it came as a broken link... go figure :p)

Cplesondohlp

i am wondering if you can some how tell me to make a new partition table. i am fairly efficient with computers and with guidance am confident i may be able to accomplish this task.. However if you or anyone does a search for my MP3 player one will quickly recognize the failure in design of every aspect of this player. I have the CHD500. anyway i have searched and every person who owned one of these has disposed of it. i am just trying to save money by fixing this myself as i have already had to solder everything back together like the plug and usb port, and the only thing it does is sit on my desk and i listen to it. So again if anyone can help it would be great.

Last edited:

Cplesondohlp

Oh and the full message is...... Insert new disk for drive D: and press enter when ready. The type of the file system is raw. please use the /FS switch to specify the file system you wish to use on this Volume.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i am wondering if you can some how tell me to make a new partition table. i am fairly efficient with computers and with guidance am confident i may be able to accomplish this task..
Not sure if this well even work but you could try something like Partition Magic. .... now the simple way would be to try and format the disc and through the process of formatting you'll "install" a filesystem but whether thats doable or not i dunno.

However if you or anyone does a search for my MP3 player one will quickly recognize the failure in design of every aspect of this player. I have the CHD500. anyway i have searched and every person who owned one of these has disposed of it. i am just trying to save money by fixing this myself as i have already had to solder everything back together like the plug and usb port, and the only thing it does is sit on my desk and i listen to it. So again if anyone can help it would be great.
Ouch