Savant

So basically, these are my specs:
Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z87N-WIFI (SOCKET 0)
Graphics
PL2377 (1920x1080@60Hz)
PL2377 (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti (Gigabyte)
ForceWare version: 376.19
SLI Disabled
Storage
111GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB (SSD)
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA)
Optical Drives
PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-207D

I have been experiencing some serious fps lag for quite a while now but no one seems to know the problem, not even PC World. I, however have managed to narrow it down to a hardware problem that is not my RAM. So please don't ask me if I've updated my drivers, because that was the first thing I checked.

It started occurring roughly after a year give or take, I first gave it back to the original company I purchased it from (Chillblast) and they confirmed it was definitely a graphics card problem. So they replaced it. Yet nothing significant enough happened and it's only gotten worse.

If anyone can provide any insight into my problem, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Plenty enough power there then. Are you running the latest bios revision which is F6 support for enhanced cpu performance. Have you tried doing a fresh install of windows?

C4C

Have you disabled integrated graphics in the BIOS?

Windows might be trying to decide if it should use the 780Ti or the iGPU built into the processor..

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you disabled integrated graphics in the BIOS?

Windows might be trying to decide if it should use the 780Ti or the iGPU built into the processor..
You do realize this can't happen on a desktop pc right?

Savant

I've done a complete factory reset before. But I'm not a computer whizz, so you're going to have to tone down to layman's terms for me. :p

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You mean install a fresh copy of windows?

Basically you need to back up any personal data, use the windows installation media to delete existing partitions and reset them back up and reinstall windows.

However, a factory reset should have got rid of any windows issues. So this is either down to bios issue or motherboard issue. You can try updating the bios first.

Savant

You mean install a fresh copy of windows?

Basically you need to back up any personal data, use the windows installation media to delete existing partitions and reset them back up and reinstall windows.

However, a factory reset should have got rid of any windows issues. So this is either down to bios issue or motherboard issue. You can try updating the bios first.

So I just googled on how to update the BIOS, I went on the website and tried downloading the updating tools and it kept coming up with a message that it could not be used on my computer after extracting all the files and attempting to run the applications.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So I just googled on how to update the BIOS, I went on the website and tried downloading the updating tools and it kept coming up with a message that it could not be used on my computer after extracting all the files and attempting to run the applications.

Its so much easier to update the bios using the utility Qflash which is built into the motherboard. The manual explains how to do it. But I'm not so sure this is a bios issue, leaning more toward motherboard problem. Something must have happened since it used to play correctly. Can you possibly by chance try a different power supply?

Savant

Its so much easier to update the bios using the utility Qflash which is built into the motherboard. The manual explains how to do it. But I'm not so sure this is a bios issue, leaning more toward motherboard problem. Something must have happened since it used to play correctly. Can you possibly by chance try a different power supply?
I'd have to buy one I think. Can you say for certain it's a motherboard issue? Is there anymore information I can provide to make this a certainty?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you say for certain it's a motherboard issue? Is there anymore information I can provide to make this a certainty?

If it was my pc, I would first update the bios, then try a different power supply (even if you have to borrow one from a friend). Are you sure they replaced the video card? I wouldn't think the replacement would be bad as well. I suppose you could try a different video card if you have access to one. All you can do is try different parts until it comes down to motherboard. No definitive way to make sure its the motherboard at this point.

mistersprinkles

First thing I would do is reinstall windows.
download the win 8 installer form microsoft onto a USB stick and boot off that. Your key is in your bios.

ramirez

Yes, during gaming. For example, World of Warcraft I could handle at a solid 60+ fps during fights, now it drops to 7-10 fps.

Are you using the same in-game settings for your video card that you had previously, before the new card replacement. Are your video drivers current?? With your setup you should have no issues with running WoW. I have friends running 1366 sockets with GTX280's running this game above 7-10 FPS. Is your video card overheating??

beers

Staff member
Are you sure you're plugging the monitor into the cards output port and not the one on the motherboard?

Outside of that I'd verify CPU temps at idle and load. I have a similar system, you can use something like the Intel extreme tuning utility to validate and even benchmark. It will give you a meter of how much throttling it does during the benchmark it does.

Savant

Are you using the same in-game settings for your video card that you had previously, before the new card replacement. Are your video drivers current?? With your setup you should have no issues with running WoW. I have friends running 1366 sockets with GTX280's running this game above 7-10 FPS. Is your video card overheating??
I've had it confirmed that the graphics card was not the issue, I was using the same settings until that was unplayable so everything is on the lowest possible settings now. All my drivers are up to date.

Savant

Are you sure you're plugging the monitor into the cards output port and not the one on the motherboard?

Outside of that I'd verify CPU temps at idle and load. I have a similar system, you can use something like the Intel extreme tuning utility to validate and even benchmark. It will give you a meter of how much throttling it does during the benchmark it does.
A friend suggested that and I tried it with no difference being made. All the temperatures are fine, I'll look at that, cheers.