I leave my Laptop Plugged in 24 Hrs a Day Should I Shut It Down When I'm Done for the Night?

My Lenovo Thinkpad is great though it gets Hot Underneath when I leave it on plugged in 24 Hours a day, 365 Days a Year. Should I leave it Shut Down instead every evening or does leaving a computer plugged in & always on, do no damage to the computer? Thanks for your input.

hurricaneside

My Lenovo Thinkpad is great though it gets Hot Underneath when I leave it on plugged in 24 Hours a day, 365 Days a Year. Should I leave it Shut Down instead every evening or does leaving a computer plugged in & always on, do no damage to the computer? Thanks for your input.
With this type of computer I would advise not to, if you need to leave it on then that’s fine. What is the reason you need to leave it on? I’d assume it’s for remote control.

Not to leave it plugged 24 hours a day or not to leave it on, plugged in 24 hours a day. I don't shut it down due to my own laziness of not wanting to boot it up again. So you think I could be damaging the Thinkpad by leaving it always on & always plugged in?

hurricaneside

Usually if it’s a laptop that’s what I’d advise, computer desktops are better at being able to be left on or plugged all day. You can leave both plugged in but a desktop can be left on all day. A laptop can to but they mess up more.

beers

Staff member
I usually leave them plugged in for months at a time, the charging circuit is regulated.

Would make sure you dust it out regularly though since the laptop heatsinks are much smaller and can be choked out by smaller amounts of dust.

I usually leave them plugged in for months at a time, the charging circuit is regulated.

Would make sure you dust it out regularly though since the laptop heatsinks are much smaller and can be choked out by smaller amounts of dust.
Thanks for the advice about dusting it out.