I love my new DELL XPS and UHD monitor, but do i need a new mouse?

tech2

Sounds interesting. Would you mind taking a screenshot to show me so i can see if it would be idea?
thanks

tech2

I think i'll give the Acer Predator XB270H 27" 144hz Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor - Black/Red a try. Hoping it will be good

tylerjrb

It should do 144hz for desktop use but for games im unsure what it will be like. As of course it wont run 144hz v-sync in games unless your rig is powerful enough. so i dont know if it will give screen tearing or not at such high refresh rate.

very nice monitor though! will be incredibly smooth.

Last edited:

tech2

Depends what games you play. A single gtx 980 would just about do 144hz on 1080 maxed settings on battlefield 4.

Right now I do very little gaming tbh as i've got a PS4. But I play Red Alert 3 a lot (quite an old game). Now I got a good spec PC i'll be doing more PC gaming though. What happens if the game dosent do 144hz, will it still play nice on the monitor?

tylerjrb

yeah it should be fine, it will still be nice and smooth as it will be over 60hz regardless so i wouldnt worry about it, put it this way it uses similar power to 4k at 30hz so it still will be a much nicer smoother experience than 4k at 60hz especially on games.

tech2

yeah it should be fine, it will still be nice and smooth as it will be over 60hz regardless so i wouldnt worry about it, put it this way it uses similar power to 4k at 30hz so it still will be a much nicer smoother experience than 4k at 60hz especially on games.

Cool, im looking forward to it and using photoshop again :D

tech2

OK so i've not got the acer monitor. Mouse is now working well and smooth, but im trying to see if I can make the screen more 'smooth'. Text and stuff seems a bit jaggered etc? Also if I can enhance the colours etc?

tylerjrb

If it's all set to 144hz should be fine. What do you mean by more smooth? The text will be jagged due to the resolution as its 4x less pixels than 4k. You can maybe try reducing text size and scaling etc. I'm unsure if you can enhance the colours, if so it will be in the menu.

tech2

Im just comparing it to my old 24inch 1080p Samsung sync. The text on that looks clear and smooth etc but on this is dosen't. Not sure if there is a setting to smooth it or blur slightly or something? Like i loaded up the sims and the shadows are all blocky - i wonder if im using the right cable?
Its set at 144hz, feels smooth, just dosent look it, lol.

salvage-this

if you back away from the monitor does it get better?

I'm pretty sure Tylerjrb is right on. 1080 on a 27" screen will look blocky compared to a 23"/24"

tech2

You're probably right, it's probably the screen size blowing up 1080p more.
Hmmm I feel a bit stuck. I really like UHD, and I could get a 60HZ one, but the dam Adobe software dosent work with it! :|

tech2

That's why I recommended QHD.

I noticed people were complaning to Adobe that there 2k monitors wasnt working with it too so if ture id be in the same situation as with 4k. But ill re-adjust back to 1080p and re-upgrade to 4k once Adobe get their act together.

salvage-this

If you are on a digital interface and are set to the native resolution, that is about as sharp as you are going to get. You can try to mess with the display settings in the displays's OSD, but I doubt that would make any difference.

tech2

Think its just that i got used to the 4k resolution. Im already getting back to 1080p :) and the suferfast 144hz is great for adobe and games. Once a decent 4k+ resolution monitor comes out with 100hz+ and adobe make the menus compatible then i'll upgrade, probably a min of 6 months away if not a couple of years.

Last edited: